Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why Blog?

A couple of days ago my niece wrote a post about "The purpose of blogging" I left her a mile long comment and I have decided to turn it into my own post.

When I first started my blog I sent it out to my family and very close friends, I was so excited for this new form of communication and connection. It quickly went sour as I found myself being judged and ridiculed. I was so so sad. One tearful night I decided that I would end my short blogging experience and keep my heart safely on the pages of my journal where I couldn't be hurt.

The next morning I realized that in my life I have never cowed to meanness or unjust pressure. I would continue regardless of what others perceived about me because of it. How grateful I now am that I persisted. This is what I love about blogs:

In my favorite movie of all time "Shadowlands" there is a quote. "We read to know we are not alone". Maybe we blog to know that we are not alone. I can read about other peoples experiences and see how alike we all are, I am not alone!

Laughing.....I have had some of the best laughs from reading blogs. There are some really great humorous writers out there and I love their comedic view of life. I have a sunnier outlook after reading some blogs. Here's a post that had me laughing, and this one, and this one also.

I gain a new perspective. I have had some of the hugest paradigm shifts in regards to my life and how I am living it as I have read about how others are living theirs. I cherish the new perspective I have about my mothering, my relationships and the things I spend my time on. All this I have learned from reading other peoples stories.

Connecting with other people. I have both connected and reconnected with some really great people. I have 7 brothers and sisters and somewhere around 35 nieces and nephews so it can be hard to keep connected with everyone. I feel close to those who have blogs because I know what they are doing. I also love that I get to meet new people that I wouldn't know if I weren't blogging. Heck, I got a comment from someone today who lives on a farm and has a huge garden. I plan on putting in a big garden in our back yard next year. She may regret leaving the comment because I now totally intend to pick her agricultural brain. How great are blogs?

The negatives of blogging:

Self doubt.............Really, am I the only one to read other peoples blogs and think?......"man I am not even close to being as good a mom as her", or "Oh they take such beautiful pictures...I suck at photography" (is it just me or is everyone who is blogging an amazing photographer?). or "Their family is so close and my siblings loathe me" or "I can't write as well or witty as they can, no one will be interested in what I say". And last but definitely not least...."What? they have 30 comments and I have one? no one likes me".
Ok, maybe I should quit blogging....ha ha that just gave me a good belly laugh.

12 comments:

Chrissy said...

Although I rarely comment - I'm always reading. I am often uplifted by reading your blog Gale. I agree that it helps to know that someone else has ups and downs. I don't blog yet as I'm not ready to have my life "out there". I'm just not brave enough! Keep up the good work. And hello -- you have the most beautiful pictures of your family on your blog!!!

Bray said...

Chrissy, the funny thing is I know that I would love to read your blog if you had one. You are smart, insightful and you write well. I would be a faithful reader but I know what you mean about putting yourself out there.

Anonymous said...

Gale, loved your comments and love this post.

It's true right? Everyone’s life is perfect but your own in the blogging world. Its life through a distorted looking glass, where you’re the only one reflected accurately and everyone else is “touched up.”

Sometimes I get the giggles when I'm looking at these incredible photographs of beautiful people and reading their hilarious, awe inspiring, and tragic tales, while I am sitting in my P.J.’s, or lack of P.J.’s, at 1:30 in teh morning because I can’t sleep, stewing over exams and lesson preparation. If they could see me now, that’s what I think to myself, if they could only see me now!

Like C.S. Lewis said “to blog at all is to become vulnerable.” He said that right? :)

A Farmer's Wife said...

First of all...please don't quit blogging! I LOVE your posts!!! Second of all...my blog post today is on my gardening experience! This garden is the first one I have ever had...I think I've just gotten lucky with it! I would love to help you in any way I can but be warned - I am still 99% ignorant with regard to the subject of gardening!

Janna Skinner had a very successful garden one year in Oklahoma and I know that Phyllis Smith has a beautiful yard and has some garden plants mixed in with it. I'll try to remember whether anyone else I know there has a garden. Janna and Phyllis are both totally approachable and very helpful...do you know either of them?

The best thing to do is talk to other successful gardeners in your area for advice. I was too busy with law school and my baby when I was in Oklahoma to even consider gardening! I know you will do great!!! Your berries and peach tree looked fabulous in the pictures you posted!

amy said...

I highly agree that we read blogs so we don't feel alone. It's okay to show vulnerabilities because it makes you real.

Keep bloggin' girlfriend!

leslie s said...

See, look at all of us who need YOU! Your's is the first blog I go to each day - I get so excited when I see that you have posted something new because I know it will be filled with whit and wisdom or give me the belly laugh that I really need! How lucky am I that I get long phone conversations too! :) Love you bunches!!

ps. Who's Judging? And why?

brooklyn said...

ok, i love this post. (and leah if you are reading this, i loved yours too).
and i love your blog - it's so you and i love that.

Jennie said...

Gale-
I loved this post. I love reading your blog, so don't stop! I totally understand where you are coming from though. I don't really 'put myself' out there on my blog. I guess I am too private. I usually just use it as my day to day stuff, that maybe someday I might want to remember. Which is why I have hardly given my address to anyone. It's boring! Not even my family has it. :) But then I go to look if there are any comments and there aren't any, and I want some. :)

Robyn said...

Please don't ever stop Gale. I enjoy your blog more than you know. I'm more of a lurker, though. Your posts have given me wonderful insight on more subjects than I can name. You are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog.
I remember when we talked on the phone and you asked me if I had a family blog. I had no idea what you were talking about, and thought I would never have time, and that it would be way out of my league....I'm not a techie.
So I was a gauker of yours for a while and I would also go to other random ones who I didn't know.
I agree, I think it gives us a connection with people that we wouldn't normally have.
Now I love keeping my family and friends up to date (if I don't get behind) and keeping a sort-of scrapbook or chronicle of day to day things we may forget.
I love reading your blog entries; they get me laughing, thinking, remembering. You are a great writer and I am looking forward to a signed copy of your book when it comes out! :)

Anonymous said...

I was in Leslie's ward, and came across your site through hers.
You and Chris's blogs are very inspiring, and I love to read the humor! Leslie's too is inspiring!
The postings of the girls for Chris's Ironman, awesome...I'll have to remember that humor for my husband's next marathon!

It must be right, that we read blogs, to know we aren't alone! I love your family pictures!

Chris

Alisha said...

Ok. I am not sure if you will ever read this because this is an older post. I have to say I linked your blog from "the Jolly" and I was struck by what a fantastic family photo you had....then let the reading begin! I know it seem's weird to read about other people's families. Anyway I started reading and you really do have a fantastic looking family, great pictures and I started doubting my posts and my pictures....then I read what you wrote about "self doubt" and I have to say it made me laugh! You seem like a 'real' person. Thanks for not having your blog private =)