Thursday, September 25, 2008

Perfection is overrated

Perfection is way way overrated. I served a mission and it was on my mission that I noticed that many of the best missionaries were the ones who grew up lower to middle class, didn't have too much in the way of worldly things and had to work hard for the things they had. I don't know why but I saw many great men who's background was growing up in Idaho on potato farms. They didn't have the best clothes, probably didn't get all the advantages in the way of lessons, opportunities, advantages and this is what I noticed about them:

1. They didn't complain. They were always positive and took everything in stride. It was just yes sir, and straight forward obedience. No constant questioning and annoyance over what they were asked to do.

2. They worked harder than anyone else. Taking a nap, day off or any other self motivated activity wasn't an option.

3. They were humble. They knew the source of their strength and ability and never struggled in giving credit to others and build others up.

4. They had a firm faith in the gospel and shared it with strength and humility

I came home from my mission determined to marry a man from Idaho...ha ha, I think back and laugh at my idealism. No my husband is not from Idaho and can't plant a potato if his life depended upon it. He did have many of the qualities I had seen in those boys on my mission but he lacked many also.....don't worry I trained him and he has now overcome all those original faults. What would he do without me? ha ha.

So what I am trying to say is that everyday I have to remind myself that it is ok that this morning I wasn't up first thing to make my kids breakfast, they fended for themselves and did great. It is ok that my kids aren't' in every lesson possible and spend more time at home this year. It is ok that they have to spend a lot of time cleaning their rooms and helping me around the house sometimes missing all the fun their friends are having. It is ok that they don't have all the latest designer clothes (well, really none at all) and that we shop at Target and Walmart. It is ok that their bedrooms aren't all dolled up and painted with themes and perfect accessories. It is ok that we moved into our house 3 months ago and I still haven't hung a picture. It is ok that my kids don't have every advantage. It is ok if I throw my hair in a pony tail and race through my day without a shower.

It is just absolutely ok that I live in abject mediocrity in so many areas. I love all the imperfection. Raising children is not about perfection. In fact sometimes the more imperfect the better. There are only a couple of things that I think need be close to perfect.

1. Love

2. Acceptance

3. Teaching them morals, values and truth

I am sure there are a couple more!!

I think women put pressure on themselves to keep up, have a perfect house, be cute, thin, accomplished and great mothers. I don't really connect with those women because I am so far from being like them. I love real women who are just themselves. I also don't know many of these perfect women (thank heaven).

9 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

Amen to that!!! Thank you for this post! I always stress about my shortcomings (too numerous to name). I love the values illustrated by the Idaho farm boys...I hope our farm boys turn out that well! This is just an EXCELLENT post!!! THANK YOU so much!!!

amy said...

It's so strange because I was thinking about this VERY thing today. I thought to myself, "Am I a bad mom if my sink is always full of dishes?"(picturing the perfect mom's kitchen) I soon felt comforted to know that I HAVE all these dirty dishes because I am taking care of my family by feeding them. I mixed the peanut butter cookies, I steamed the carrots and I made the hubby's soup. Sue me if I chose to play with the baby instead of clean up!

Make-up has become less and less a part of my life as well. Lately I've been focusing on things that are just more important.

Great post. I'm glad you're not perfect. We should start a club.

Misty said...

Thank you for your uplifting message. I stand behind it 100%!!!
It's absolutely ok! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there...I saw you at threads of love, so I came over! I am sitting here shower-challenged in the midst of 2478 loads of laundry and a half mopped floor, and I am okay with it! I have baby barf on both shoulders, and I don't care! I am much happier as a mom since I stopped trying so hard to be perfect. Amen!

Robyn said...

Gale, I am so glad you wrote this. I also think that things are not always as we perceive them, too. Now that I am getting to know you better I am realizing that you are more a joy to me. I always look at people, especially in our ward, and feel like we are the only ones who do the things you described. The more I get to know people the more I just love them and feel like I have more in common with them than I thought.

We are simple people, too.

Anonymous said...

this is a terrific post! We (people) are soo easily distracted from what's truly important ... it seems that every new moment is an opportunity to re-order our priorities. Thank goodness for being able to write things down!!

Kelly said...

Gale. I love you!! Thanks for pointing this out. I have to say... My hubby is that potato farm boy from Idaho, who grew up poor. He keeps me very humbled and I love his up-bringing. All of that stuff (material things).. doesn't matter. I also go through many of my days with a pony tail and have not showered... You are an amazing friend. I miss our talks together. Oh- I would love to talk about the Twilight series sometime. ... I really enjoyed the books and am looking forward to the movie.

Also- to get a button (LDS) go to cutestblogsontheblock and click on adding decorations to your blog. It's something like that!

Anonymous said...

I think I just lost my comment... anyway... email me at spasm5@att.net I have some questions for you and just to say hello, we have somethings in common, I just finished 1776 and also served a mission.

Anonymous said...

You are so right Gale,
Thanks for the reminder that we don't need to be "perfect".
I find myself always wondering how to teach my kids to be genuine, honest, thankful, appreciative and to follow their heart and stand by thier values.
I want to take pride in having a clean house, and having my kids feel the same way, but some days when it feels like there are too many piles, it is ok, too.
It is all about having a good balance.