Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Getting older is AWESOME


I write this post to give hope to the young. I look at the women who are younger than me and think....wow I am so excited for you, you just have no idea how great it is to get older. I am not sure if I am alone on this one but when I hit my 30's I was so happy and thought the 30's were way better than the 20's. I didn't waste any emotional energy on the things I worried about in my 20's. Now that I have hit 40 I can't believe how much better it keeps getting. At this rate 50 will be INCREDIBLE. Why? As you age you just get better, smarter, more at peace with yourself and more accepting of your role in this world. If I had read this post when I was in my 20's I would have said "no, way. I am not like her, I love my life now and she is deluding herself to assuage the pain of all those wrinkles." That is why getting older is so great we are no longer worried about whether we are right. There are women in their 20's who do "get it" really young, but that just means that they will be so much farther ahead when they are in their 40's and they will be thrilled with their growth.

I have noticed that not everyone chooses to get better as they age. I am amazed at the few who seem to get more bitter, insecure and focused on weird things like perfecting their physical bodies with every type of surgery imaginable. I think, wow how have you missed the boat on how amazing you are just being you. It just becomes more and more clear to me with each year how amazing it is to be alive, completely imperfect and be ok with it all. So often I see women who are older than me and I can see absolute peace, joy and confidance in their imperfect faces. I hope I grow to be like them. I can't wait to be a grandma. How awesome will that be!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

You are so right! I'm 50..its great!
About the uphill bike ride. It hurt just reading it about it...lol

okbushmans said...

With the way my brain works right now, I'm scared for when I'm in my 50's! Hopefully I'm one of those who gets it!

A Farmer's Wife said...

I love this post and I needed this post! I am 33 and I worry all of the time that I will not have enough time to accomplish all that I want to in this life! This post has inspired me to think that the older I get the better my priorities will be and the more efficient I will become at accomplishing my goals! THANK YOU!!! You are always so inspiring!!! I thoroughly enjoy your blog!