Monday, September 8, 2008

Thoughts on purpose

I have not been able to write for a little while as my mind is so full of thoughts and I feel as though when I try to put them to paper it becomes a jumbled mess poured out in confusion. I will try to convey some of those thoughts as I can't sleep and what else is there to do at 4am?
OK, so my thoughts deal with purpose. I have been wracked with intense thoughts about all of us and how we come to know who we are and what our purpose is. It seems that with the knowledge of the gospel we have a head start but I think there is something deep inside of each of us that cries out to know from the "Source" who we are as individuals and that we have a purpose in this plan that we know so well. "What is my role, what are my talents, and am I as vital as another in this plan?"
In our communities, church and lives there are so many types of people. There are those who are charismatic, smart, shy, beautiful, average, accomplished, sad, lonely, loved, popular......the list goes on. It could seem on the outside that the charismatic, smart, beautiful and accomplished are somehow more useful or vital on this earth than ourselves. We judge ourselves against one another and somehow see our negatives against anothers' positives. I have become acutely aware lately of how beautiful and amazing each spirit on this earth is, and how no matter who you are, and what you think of yourself, you are amazing, vital and integral to the plan of our Father in Heaven. In fact it doesn't matter what each of us think about our qualifications, we are who we are because we have a purpose, we are vital and we are deeply deeply loved. I also know that our Father in Heaven will let us each know, spirit to spirit, the depth of his love for us and that is the most powerful and joyful experience available to mankind, to know and feel His love for us. This knowledge must be dilligently sought and not in a casual way.

I saw a trailer for a new movie that Bill Mahr is putting out called "Religulous". It basically makes fun of those with religious beliefs. I see some of his points as often religion is used as the basis for so many of the worlds most horrific deeds, these justified as God's will. This misguided belief system doesn't mean that there is no true belief system. There is a knowledge that comes only through the spirit that is absolutely undeniable and if never sought can never be understood.

As I have read and followed blogs of some women dealing with tragedy I am brought to know again that when that knowledge of who we are is sure, we are capable of moving through life with joy regardless of circumstances. No one needs to be amazed at how a woman who has lost a child is heartbroken but so at peace, buoyed up and confident in her future.
(blog link) Or a family who's mother, daughter and friend is burned beyond recognition is able to see joy and growth in their situation and still live with optimism and purpose. (blog link) This confidence is not clinging to hope by weak minds easily swayed into believing some fairytale stories of a religious nature, this is people who know...............I know.

1 comment:

okbushmans said...

So well put! I love what you said about judging ourselves against others.