Friday, November 21, 2008

Connections and Influence

Yesterday I had a weird experience, I got an email from someone telling me that she had read someones blog and that they had linked my blog on theirs. I figured she was wrong because I don't know this person so I hopped on over to that blog and sure enough she mentioned me in her blog and had linked my blog to hers on that post. This is why this experience was weird. First of all she was saying way too nice of things about us and secondly, it was my reaction to reading her post.

I must preface my reaction with an explanation so you don't think I am weird. I blog as a journal. I tell the tale of my life and share my feelings about it. I am not a writer or a photographer which so many bloggers are. I have no talent with crafts, scrapbooking or style ideas. I don't really have anything to offer as far as skills go. This is really just a simple place to say the things I feel about the things I love. When I started I sent the link out to all my family and very close friends so they could keep up with me. Then after a few months some weird things started happening like getting a comment from someone I didn't know. It actually was a good thing and I have made a couple of friends with women I admire that I would never have known without my blog. I suddenly saw a bigger purpose. Before I sound like a recluse who is lonely and on the computer way too much searching for connections I am not!! I am so busy I find it hard to even keep up my friendships with my close friends here.

So what was my extremely weird reaction to this nice persons post.....I cried. I am so embarrassed saying that. It truly makes me sound like a fragile lonely girl and I am really just the opposite. It is even worse because on her post she was talking about our family being pretty and even though that is a huge complement I don't want you to think for one min that I was crying because someone thought we are pretty, it is not important to me. I couldn't figure out why I was crying....It was baffling me. I called my sisters and told them my weird reaction. I wasn't sad, I love this persons blog and felt honored that she felt to talk about our family. I realized last night as my husband came home from a week long trip and we sat and talked for a long time. It is influence. I think I cried because I think I am living a quiet anonymous life but people may be watching and I hope I am good and my influence is positive. I know that I have not in any way influenced this nice woman who talked about me but I suddenly realized what a powerful tool a blog is. Sometimes people we don't know may read and find some comfort, joy, or clarity just simply by how we live our lives. It doesn't have to be any great thing. In a world where there are so many who tear down, devalue and make important things seem less, I love to read blogs of women who are hopeful, confidant, wise and sometimes, if you are lucky really funny. I always love a good belly laugh. If my little on line journal lets just one other person know that they are not alone then how awesome is that.

I can not count the number of times I have come to the decision to make my blog private and then the next day I just kind of don't end up doing it. I know that there are several women who don't know me whose blogs I read that if they made their blogs private I would be very sad. So I continue for now to keep it open and am thankful to be connected and I am thankful to this woman who made me realize that we are all watching and learning from each other and that is a good thing. Here is her blog link of you would like to meet a great writer who has a lot of interesting things to say!

12 comments:

Ashley said...

My sentiments exactly! I have never met you in person, but yours is one of two blogs (of someone I don't know) that I keep up with. Without creeping you out, I wish you realized the influence for good that you have had on me as a wife and mother. Thank you! And if you ever go private I will cry...

Anonymous said...

Julie was telling me about that and I loved it!

humbling and true.. beautiful family on the outside but your example is so powerful.

annie said...

Gale,
I read your blog often, and you inspire me. I found it through Sarah Bushman's blog. I have always thought you were an amazing woman, and great mother. Thanks for being a good example, and for sharing your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Your family is gorgeous, I must agree.
I've started reading your blog after discovering that we are both sisters in Zion and Okies! Awesome. I have thought about going private as well, but I have met so many incredible women through blogging that I always decide to keep it public. I love seeing that we're all trying so hard to do the right thing with our families. It shows how wonderful the world really is. Plus, it is such a great missionary tool. So many people exit my blog through the church links, and I am always so excited to see that!
You let your light so shine, and it got noticed. That's pretty cool. :)

okbushmans said...

Without tv shows, or CD's or movies, you have fans! How great!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I was a little worried when I started reading this. I would never want to make anyone cry! But you make such a good point. Just like in person relationships - we really do influence each other. I only visit blogs that provide a positive influence - and yours is one of them.

I was incredibly disappointed that there was a negative comment on that post. The only reason that I didn't trash it was so I could make note that I didn't want to see anymore like it. One thing that I get out of blogging is to find common ground with different people. Honestly - if I refused to associate with anyone who wasn't in complete agreement with me in every way, I'd be standing all by myself.

One thing that I've enjoyed about the blogs I read that are written by Mormon women is that they are filled with daily joy and appreciation for the little things. They don't need to be negative to be funny. And I find that inspirational. It's a good influence on me.

Thanks for that.

katie said...

i totally agree...with everything that you said.
i too, have made up my mind to go private and don't because i've met and made wonderful friends because of my blog...and now have found your blog.
my blog is the journal, for me and my 2 babes, to one day read and then to know who their mom truly was...both the good and the bad.
thanks for another great example!

i'll be back :)

♥ Braja said...

I was really touched by your post; I came here via the Mormons Are Pretty posting on that blog (and yes, your family is gorgeous, without a doubt), but what you said really touched me...it is so true that so many are crass, try to tear things down, complain, and make a negative influence. But it was so nice to read just a simple post of praise for a very simple thing: a beautiful family. And I don't doubt that your family is not just surface beautiful, but because of your love for God and your dedication to His service, you all have beautiful hearts as well. It is nice to "meet" you :)
with love
Braja

leslie s said...

Love you Gale. I know you are amazing I'm just glad that others are getting to see that in you too!

rachel said...

This was a beautiful post. You had made a comment on CJane's blog a long time ago that I liked and I found your blog. I always appreciate your honesty and optimism. Your family is beautiful.

Tiff said...

I started my blog also just kinda as a journal for my family...ended up being that and so much more. It is so much fun to met new online people and read what they comment on what I have written..I do not work outside of the home so I feel blogging is something for me..make sense...It is nice to read about others lives and see how people live and how they handle different things :)BTW..Love your header picture! :)

Unknown said...

G~
You have always been an influencial person. Do you remember your grade 6 picture? I think Carol did your hair and we were all wanting it! Seriously, you are making a difference. I love that your reach has extended beyond "the scary trees" and has given others a glimpse of what good is. Love you to death!!
D