Sunday, November 9, 2008

"That look!!"

I arrive at church later than Chris. He sits up front and every week there is a moment that I anticipate like warm gooey brownies with vanilla bean ice-cream on top. It is "the look" he gives me each week when I walk in. It happens every time without fail and I have never mentioned it to him so that he would feel the need to keep it up.


When we arrive the kids always walk in first and he breaks into a huge smile but when his eyes wander down the line to mine that smile moves from an upturned mouth to his lips becoming slightly pressed together and his eyes become low and get this little mischievous twinkle in them that says" there she is and she is mine!". It is the absolute sexiest, loving and most anticipated moment of my week. My stomach gets all tingly and I feel like when we were in college and he kissed me for the first time.

I have kept this "look" a little secret joy of mine for a long long time but today I started getting ready for church in anticipation of that look. I found myself carefully choosing an outfit in hopes that I would maybe cause that look to be a little more surprised or intense than before. When I walked in he gave me that low, loving intense look and once again my stomach triple flipped.

I know that I am not imagining this look because during Relief Society I was asked to sing so he came in to listen. He peeked his head in and scanned the room. As soon as his eyes met mine he got "that look" again. The sister sitting beside me elbowed me and said "oh my goodness....do you see how he is looking at you? wow, that is so cute, he is so in love with you." We have been married 16 1/2 years.......I wonder if he will still look at me that way at the end of our next 16.

20 comments:

Our Family said...

That is so sweet! Isn't an eternal marriage the BEST and the only way to go! We've been married for 15 years and my husband still makes my heart beat faster when we look at each other through the chaos! If your husband could bottle that look you could be RICH!

Unknown said...

I loved your post! Patrick and I just had a similar conversation. I still get "spears" when I see him. It must be true love.

leslie s said...

I find it so comforting that Chris treats my most awesomest sister with so much love.

"GOOD TIMES"! LOL

Seriously though, that is so darn sweet!!

Sara@iSass said...

That is SO sweet. To "hear" so many things in one look of adoration. You are one LUCKY lady!

Anonymous said...

okay the way you articulated that I felt like I was eavesdropping on a date!

beautifully written. My hubby is up front too, but half the time he feels like he wants to puke, so I don't get those looks as often LOL!

Jen said...

keep that love alive!

Bray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bray said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bray said...

how could I not look at you the way? You are a hot wife! Five kids and 16 years later and you look better now then when we got married, the look is one of awe.

okbushmans said...

Did he say 5 kids? Is he included in the mix?

okbushmans said...

You guys need a room. This blog needs a room! Even when my sister was visiting, she witnessed the 'looks'. When Chris was teaching Gospel Doctrine, and you were glowingly watching him, she elbowed me and said, "They love each other!" That was...4 years ago? Crazy love birds.

Jennie said...

How sweet Gale! Now what's this about 5 kids? Do you have an announcement? :)

Anonymous said...

You are a lucky, lucky woman. A darling post. And I'm sure 16 years from now he'll be looking at you the very same.

And I promise to give you more story tomorrow. When I can find a second to write more. :)

Lisa said...

That is so precious!Sounds like it will be the next 16-plus years to come!! Thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello....

Misty said...

I just got goosebumps. Your husband is in love with you & what a cutie! (I enjoyed his comment)Thanks for sharing that sweet story. it's amazing how just a little look, smile, wink can go along way. We all need to do it more!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky! My husband needs some lessons.

Anonymous said...

I just realized you're in Oklahoma. I grew up in Broken Arrow and met my husband of 13 years at OSU. Small world!

Sunshine said...

I have no doubt you will keep getting that "look". Call me, I have some great news to share with you....

Ann Randall said...

Dear Chris & Gale,
I visited your blog and have some questions for you..... I am an old neighbor of Chris' on Hope St..... and a friend of Myrllin Cook's....
she sent me your Christmas card and I fell in love with it..... can you e-mail me at
Glad2BAnn@aol.com? Thanks!

♥ Braja said...

I reckon he just might...