We just got home from a great evening. A mother daughter outing to the Twilight premiere. So here is my take on the movie.....STOP right here if you have no desire to hear my opinion on this movie and would rather form your own.
Did it follow the book? Somewhat but not exactly. For those who have read the book....say two or three times, you will be noticing things right away that are off. Be prepared to feel that way the whole movie. I actually suggest just forgetting the book because I probably ruined part of the movie for myself because I spent the first hour comparing it and then I finally let go and just enjoyed.
There were times as I was watching that I thought "I LOVE this movie" but there were also times that I thought "what were they thinking!" It was back and forth for the whole 2 hours. Overall it was good but, of course, the book is ten thousand times better!! I cringed through most of the first 30-45 min because I was looking for it to be like the book but then it came to its own and somewhat redeemed itself. Baseball scene was awesome!
The Character development was somewhat shallow because it would be impossible in 2 hours to have all the depth that would be required. I wish it would have been a mini-series....seriously, they could have done so much more with more time. I left wanting more of the cullen family.
The big question....Edward?. There were times in this movie that I saw the Edward that I had imagined, and they were delicious, but overall he was off mark for me. There were also a few times in the movie that were meant to be very serious but the whole audience was laughing. I thought that was weird.
For moms...I didn't personally find anything offensive at all. I can't remember even 1 cuss word. The book is way more steamy and the violence was not over the top. I would say it is PG 13 but very very light on the 13.
It was a lot of fun. You must go and you will enjoy, but the book is way better. Isn't that the way it always is?
Chloe wants to add her 2 cents....Hey its Chloe! So we saw the twilight premiere and.....
My opinion on the actors/actresses
Edward- ok so in the beginning they were trying to make it comical with him and made it weird. he had weird facial expressions and was acting like a spaz. In the book he is supposed to keep cool . Later in the movie the Edward we all know and love definitely came out. He was charming and definitely cool. You know how he sparkles in the light? yeah they made it weird. People who haven't read the book are going to be like what? He looks like a pretty little princess....yeah weird
Bella-ummm... a very monotonous character...she had one facial expression through the whole movie and was very one dimensional.
Alice-LOVED HER!!!THEY HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD! She was beautiful yet pixie like and still managed to look fierce. BRAVO!
Jasper- UGH! This character is supposed to be deep. They made him into a comical character. it was weird and girly. He had extremely strange facial expressions.
Rosalie- I wasn't sure about her when i saw the pics but she was PERFECTO! I thought she wasn't going to be pretty enough but she did a fantastic job! She wasn't your norm skinny little blonde and she also looked fierce yet beautiful.
Emmet- DEFINITELY grew on me. I LOVED HIM! Something about him was just lovable...like a big bro! Great job!
Carlisle-Great job on casting him! He managed looking mature and older yet good looking. His eyes were very kind and he did a great job acting.
Esme- Just how I imagined her! EVEN BETTER! She looked like just a kind mom and was very welcoming. She was also beautiful yet fierce.
Charlie- I imagined him a little fatter LOL but otherwise he did a good job!
James-Perfect! What more can i say? see for yourself!
Laurent and Victoria - well casted and did a great job!
Nothing offensive or crude at all whatsoever, I will see it again and again!


16 comments:
Okay, you won't believe this but that's pretty much what I was expecting from this movie - at least from what I saw on the trailers! Entertaining but not out of this world. Thanks for the review gals! It's good to know!
I was pretty much thinking that my expectations would be about the same. Movies scripted from books are never as good as the books they come from...with one exception, "Pride and Prejudice." I am looking forward to my own Mom and daughter date with Madi to see it...
Darci, I agree about Pride and Prejudice. They did such a good job with that movie. I was hoping that this would be like that but no.
Sounds like you guys had a great time. I'm going to see the movie Friday night, and I don't expect the book. I remember when I saw Lord of the Rings I thought "Where's Tom Bombadil?" (If you've never read the books, he really doesn't matter to the story, but I still wanted to see him) I think it's always that way, unfortunately. I admit to not having yet seen Pride and Prejudice, I guess I'll have to do that. My only daughter is four, so we've been more into Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter-another set of movies that, although great in their own way, weren't the books...Thanks for the review! I can't wait to see it. I'm so glad that Chloe liked Alice-she's my favorite female character!
I'm actually glad you saw it first. Now I can lower my expectations and hopefully enjoy the movie. I, like the rest of the fanatics, read ALL the books in less than a week! I'm just irritated because my nephew is getting married on Sat. and we have all this wedding stuff on Fri. When am I going to get to the theater!!!!!
Hey! I liked the movie a LOT...Now I've only read the book once and that was maybe a year ago, so it seemed like a refresher to me. I liked Edward's intense yet awkward looks towards Bella. It added a "High Schooly" quality that I don't remember from the books and that was a good thing for me. I remember in the first book Jasper didn't have much to do, but in the movie every time I saw him I was thinking " Man, he looks so weird and cool...what's his deal?" Don't lower your expectations! IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think my problem was that I had just read the book that day so I had a hard time letting go of the book and just enjoying the movie. I am going again on Friday and I have a feeling I will enjoy it much more.
Gale, thanks for commenting on my blog. I had such trouble letting go of the book too. I finally just forgot the book and then I could enjoy the movie. Yeah, I wish we could have had MORE of the Cullens and even more of the peripheral characters but instead we had a BUNCH of closeups of Edward and Bella's faces. But I guess that is what you do when a book is written about the thoughts in one teenage girls head. Glad you two won, I don't think I would have had anyone to bring that would have enjoyed it as much.
Dawn
How funny about Charlie, I imagined him fat also. Maybe because he's a cop who doesn't know how to cook. Can't wait to see it!
well I havent read that series, (personal stand against being on bandwagons :::sheepish:::) but I am glad for your review b/c my 12 yr old wants to see it thanks
Stacy, I read the book before anyone I knew had ever heard of it. Chloe was given it by a friend and then gave it to me....I was like...."what you want me to read a book about vampires??? no thanks." At this point I had never heard of it or knew anyone who had read it so I figured I better read it just to know what my daughter was being exposed to. I was hooked.
Thanks for taking the time to fill us in. I wasn't surprised by your review. I knew it would not be able to do it justice.
just found your blog because of "the big piece of cake".
your family is gorgeous and it doesn't hurt to also now be famous!
ps midnight twilight movie tonight so i did not read your review but will come back tomorrow to see if i agree...
:)
It's true, I am a natural debater, but I've realized two things should never be argued; anything based on individual values or beliefs, and anything with personal and emotional investments.
Let's just say I can't imagine a better mother than you are, and yet I still cringe every time I hear the word Edward!
did u see yourselves on kfor last night? funny, I was sitting with one of the anchors and telling him i had read something about Twilight on a blog I follow and then POP! there you were on the news being interviewed.
Sunny-d, you are killing me....who are you? I can't click on your profile and see who you are. BTW. I went to Twilight again last night and the second time was a charm. I LOVED IT. I mean seriously LOVED it. I think the first time I was way too critical. Edward was working for me the second time!!
Post a Comment