Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Perfect Moment

This morning I woke up very early and headed out for some holiday store shopping. In my desire to not wake a soul I grabbed mismatched clothing in the dark, threw my hair in what could be loosely termed a ponytail, and headed out, mascara under the eyes and all. Ne'er a light was turned on and being that it was pitch dark outside, I was quite a sight as I headed out on my task. It was New Years day so the world was a ghost town. When I arrived at the store looking like a homeless woman I was greeted by the store checker with suspicion. As I began filling carts full of merchandise I could see he was getting extremely worried...."Is this a crazy homeless lady with an obsessive compulsive shopping disorder? Is she filling carts only to leave them for me to put a way? Does she even have any money?" Finally he came over and asked me for ID....you can imagine how bad I looked for him to actually need to see ID. He was obviously concerned. I could also see disappointment when he realized that I was legit and he was going to have to check me out with my 12 carts full. His concern turned to extreme annoyance.

As he checked me out he huffed at least 40 times, his eyes rolled and he put things in bags all together way too rough. He wanted me to know that I had disrupted his morning routine with my load and he was mad. He didn't say a word to me through the whole process and being as I had not even bothered to brush my teeth before sneaking out, I wasn't speaking much either. I tried to be cordial and kind but he wanted none of it. Finally as we were nearing the end of the purchase he sighed and in a curt voice said. "So it looks like you are really stocking up for next year". "No" I replied, "This is not for me, this is for my school, we put together a store so all the kids can do their Christmas shopping. We purchase things very cheaply so that even those children who can't afford gifts can give them. This is all for next years store." He suddenly saw me in a new light, I wasn't a crazy compulsive shopper, I was doing a service for our community. His countenance changed in that moment. He was kind those last few minutes and suddenly wanted to help. He asked if he could help me load my car and we were friends as I left.

I can't stop thinking about perspective and how often we are altogether wrong about each other. I read CJanes blog today where she shares how someone had left a comment for her saying that they think she is self centered. Wow did that ever hit home. It made me cry.
A blog is a one dimensional medium. We see a picture, we read the things written but it barely scratches the surface of who a person is and what they are going through. It is a small snapshot that we share with each other but just like my crazy haired appearance this morning it is so incomplete that we are often wrong in our judgements.
Someone may read my blog and think I am rude and self absorbed or any number of unkind things. They would be both right and wrong. I am sure I am rude sometimes though I try desperately not to be. I know that there are many times when I think too much about myself but I am constantly trying to see others and find the charity that I so much pray for and desire. I know that I am not a good enough friend and I haven't always loved enough.
Another may read and think wow they have it all together and are amazing. Again, both right and wrong. We are amazing in our love for each other as a family and our desire to do good but we are hopelessly flawed and sometimes just plain a mess. We make many mistakes, often get frustrated and struggle with all things that a family of 4 could struggle with. This is the complexity of life and the facade that we often don't see through until we know someone well. A while back my sister said to me, "Treat everyone you meet with the love and care you would give someone that you knew was going through a very difficult time in their life and 70% of the time you will be right". This statement has sat in my soul since she said it. We are all struggling in some way and how great it would be if we always made a point of lifting each other up, giving the benefit of the doubt and loving no matter what.

At the second store I went to, an elderly lady came in as I was headed out. She saw that I had 7 or 8 carts full of bags and immediately gave me a sweet smile, held the door and asked if she could help me. She was at least 75 - 80 years old. She quickly pulled one of my carts to the car for me and held the door as got the other carts. As she headed back to the store I ran ahead and held the door for her. She looked at me (crazy hair and all) with such love and in that moment I loved her. I don't know her name or anything about her nor she of me but it was a perfect moment.

We have put away the sparkling cider and fondue pots and have set our goals. I pray this year that I will both, not judge others nor be offended by others judgement of me. I hope to have a new perspective and fill my life with love for all, even the seemingly unlovable.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you wrote this. I was at cjane's this morning as well, and I came across a comment by the woman who claimed she was the one who made the ugly remark to Courtney.

She was angry because she is a single mother with health problems, too many bills, and a recently deceased child. She wanted the type of help from cjane that had been given to the Nielson and Clark families.

She went on to say that because she did not receive the attention she feels she deserves, she has every right to voice her opinion of Courtney's "selfishness."

My first reaction was anger at this woman for lashing out at such a wonderful family in a time when they are barely keeping their own heads above water. How could she?

But then I visited her blog. It is all black in color and full of despairing and hopeless posts. She has no joy in her life for whatever reason.

I felt terrible for being so quick to judge her, however inappropriate her behavior was. This poor woman was reacting out of frustration, probably not her true feelings.

I, too, made a resolution today to be more kind and loving to the seemingly unlovable. Thanks again. :)

Jennie said...

Gale- I saw her post too, and it made me so sad. She seems like such a selfless person to me. I know if I were in her situation, I would be doing a whole lot more complaining than she does. I really enjoyed this post of yours. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I dont follow those blogs you are talking about but that is seriously sad :(

very well written. I blogged last year about something simliar, if you are interested, its April ish of 2008, Would it change your mind if..........?

but you said things much better :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I think this is something that we struggle with every day. I try to assume good intent and give the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. My friends call this "making excuses for people." Of course, they don't have that attitude when I do it for them...

I love the holiday store. But you already know that!

Alisha said...

I just read the above post by 'Natalie'...and she said the original commentator wrote back...and I scoured over 600 comments on CJane's post and I couldn't find it. =( I was interested in looking at her blog. Remember me? I am the lurker who linked you from the jolly. =) Anyway, as far as your post...I can't believe you were asked for your ID at a store. I have never even heard of such a thing! Is that even allowed?

Alisha said...

Oops, I meant Natalie's comment (not post)

Bray said...

Natalie, I was thinking the same thing. How did you find the girl who made the self centered comment? Do you still have her blog address? I hope that people are getting on her blog giving her love and acceptance.

Anonymous said...

Her follow-up comment was posted near mine, and I happened to see it and then clicked over to her profile. I just went back through 860 comments looking for her, but her tirade has been taken down. I wondered why it had ever been posted at all. It must have slipped through the cracks...that's a lot of comments to moderate!
I will try to find her blog again and get back to you. It was sad and bitter.

Anonymous said...

I found it: brokenwon.blogspot.com

I will warn you, it is extremely depressing. This poor woman has been obsessively grieving the loss of her daughter to brain cancer for over four years, at the expense of her living son.

I would like to juxtapose her blog against a family in our last ward who lost their three year-old daughter, Sarah, to brain cancer on Dec 9th. It is amazing what the knowledge of the gospel and Atonement of Jesus Christ can do for your state of mind. Feel the peace, love and understanding from the Giles family: gilesgazette.blogspot.com

Get your tissues out.

Alisha said...

Just one more note, I too have looked at the Giles blog...they are friends of my friends Matt and Sara Rose. Anyway, what a sad thing for such a beautiful little girl. You're right their family is comforted by the gospel. It looks like that is exactly what this "Won Michigan" lady needs. Her blog is really depressing and her attitude about Christmas (or even life in general) is awful especially since she is raising another son. I actually had to stop reading it. I will just pray for some kind of upliftment for her.

Christy said...

I just read all the post, all the comments, and clicked on a couple - but not all - of the links and wow I have tears in my eyes. What I'm going to try to focus on this morning is the positive: Gale what you do for your girls' school is just awesome - I love that store idea. And I have had a tendency to judge a book by it's cover so to speak, and I'm making a conscious effort to be less judgmental...

leslie s said...

I first read this post a few days ago and finally found a quiet moment to leave a comment. I love this post - I have thought about it a lot and it is a good thing to think about as 2009 starts. Your post gives me new resolve to do better and to continue to work on not judging others too quickly or at all. Great post Gale!

leslie s said...

I first read this post a few days ago and finally found a quiet moment to leave a comment. I love this post - I have thought about it a lot and it is a good thing to think about as 2009 starts. Your post gives me new resolve to do better and to continue to work on not judging others too quickly or at all. Great post Gale!

Ashley said...

Hey...
If you don't mind, send me an email so I can send you a picture. I came across this today on my way to Kohls and stopped in the freezing cold to take a pic.
rowemom5@sbcglobal.net

Tiff said...

Wow what a shopping day that must have been...you go in to buy gifts for your next year kids store and you walk out with an amazing outlook on life....great story! BTW I don't think your blog is rude, self absorbed, etc. I see a wonderful mom that loves her family and has a great writing ability! So hum what are you keeping hidden?...lolol..kidding... :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Gale but I must come out of lurking to comment...
"she has no joy in her life FOR WHATEVER REASON" "her TIRADE has been taken down" "it was sad and bitter" "AT THE EXPENSE OF HER SON"??? WOW, Natalie--you are being rather hypocritical of WON's blog. Your comments are not uplifting to her and I truly hope she doesn't run across your postings because of what you have chosen to write. It is obvious you feel the "Giles family" is superior in how they have dealt with their loss.
This is not what the gospel teaches.

"Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes"