Today is my husbands birthday so instead of doing my usual and tell all the things that are amazing about him I have decided to tell our story. This may take several posts but I know that my girls will love it.
I was 23 years old. The emphasis on OLD. At this point all of my high school friends were married so I felt like the lone relic. Such a silly concept to me today!! Getting married was very important to me, I felt like it was going to be the most important decision in my life. In fact when I was around 14 I began praying everyday for the boy who would eventually be the man I would marry. I prayed for him vigilantly that he would be making the right choices, withstanding temptation, and becoming the kind of man that would be a great husband and father.
I had a vision in my head of him. He was going to be tall, dark hair, very distinguished and lawyerly (whatever that means). He would be thoughtful, somewhat serious minded, ambitious and most of all he would make the gospel the center of his life. He would be good to the core and a great husband and father.
At this point I had just gotten back from serving an 18 month mission for my church. I wasn't the most beautiful girl on the BYU campus, just ok cute. I was ambitious and finishing up a degree in Broadcast journalism with visions of anchoring the evening news. I dated but they weren't lining up, hmmm maybe because I drove a 1981 brown beat up Toyota Terrell that was lovingly named "the piece of poo" by all who knew it. It usually went like this......
"Who is driving?"
"Gale is,"
"oh no do we really have to ride in the piece of poo".
So I obviously wasn't on the radar of those with style, money, and class. But I felt I had lots inside that would make me a good mother, wife and partner. I did date some really great guys who seemed to fit the bill but it just didn't feel right and I wasn't sure why. I rarely got very serious with anyone because as soon as I realized he didn't fit the ideal or I didn't feel for whatever reason that he was the one, I gave him the shove off. At 23 I began to question myself and how picky I was being. In fact around this time I wrote a song called "I've said No, one too many times". I was suddenly feeling that I needed to drop the ideal and just find a good man. What was I waiting for? It was such an awkward time of my life.
Then, like a ray of sunshine and bolt of lightning all rolled up into one, he happened in my life..........to be continued.
Off to make him his birthday breakfast of Dutch Babies, with strawberries and cream, yumm.......more tomorrow!
Monday, January 19, 2009
Do you want to hear a love story?
at
7:43 AM
Labels: love story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



9 comments:
I love it! This is a good idea...I may have to steal it.
And I have to say I think you're gorgeous. Just ok cute?. No, no.
Oooh, how can you leave us like that?
Great idea. And your girls WILL love it!
I've heard and love that story.
I think if you asked most, they wouldn't tag you as "OK cute!"
I must correct something though, you were in deed beautiful! I am sure your hubby would agree to that as well.
great beginnig story :) Happy bday to hubby
Cute post and story Gale. I tried to call a couple of times - I know, I know...I should know better than to call ON birthday day. You guys always fill b-days with so much fun. I'll try tomorrow but until then please let Chris know we wish him a HUGE HAPPY BITHDAY!! He will always be top "Monsieur" in our books!! ;)lol
Even though I come from a very different background, I can really relate to this. Particularly being very young but feeling like time was running out for me to find "him" (my quarter year crisis). I was picky too and worried that I'd never find anyone with that attitude. But of course I did - and now I think I got married young at 28.
Can't wait to hear the rest. And pass on my best wishes to the birthday boy!
hi ,
I came across your blog through a friends. Your family is beautiful. I have to tell you how MUCH I APPRECIATED your inspired words about friends. I have 3 kids. Ella 4 1/2 , Ally (almost 3 ) and Tyler 17 months.
My Ella has already had her feelings hurt several times and she is only in preschool. I spent 3 hours crying last night because my heart was SO sad for her. She is a BEAUTIFUL little girl and has a heart of gold. There is just some really mean kids out there. My husband tells me, " These kids do not even know what they are saying." True or not, I know this is just the beginning. Ella will be in kindergarten next year and I AM SCARED to death. She is a little reserved , and likes to do more mild activities. So I hope she can find really good friends with the same interests. I just am struggling with the fact that she will no longer be under my wing . Her kindergarten is all day. I know it's just kindergarten, but I cannot help but think of anybody being mean to her.
Your post literally brought me to tears. I read it to my husband. I REALLY needed to hear that. I agree with one of the other comments , that your girls are pretty and so girls are probably very jealous. That does not make it right. My heart goes out to your family and I agree, you are a GREAT mom.
They are very lucky to have you.
Thanks again.
I did not want to seem weird that i left a comment and you do not even know who i am. My blog is wwwscottandlisa.blogspot.com
There is no (dot) after www
My email is lisamarie65@hotmail.com
Have a great day.
lovely story....and i have to agree with a comment above..you both were beautiful and still are... :)
Post a Comment