I was a good girl. A Good girl who could lean slightly toward self righteousness. This may have been part of my problem in finding my longed for husband. I was looking for a man who walked on water yet if I was self reflective at all I would have realized that I was barely treading water myself. When I look back, the day I met my husband was the beginning of a fresh new outlook that created major change in me.
I was a teacher at the Missionary Training Center. It was a great part time job while working on my degree. I had noticed another teacher there who physically fit my ideal. I watched him from afar and hoped one day I would get the chance to get to know him. He was serious, looked ambitious, tall, dark hair, handsome, and seemed very grounded in all things I deemed important.
But, thank heaven, fate had different plans for me.
One November day I went to work and everything was different. All the classes were switched around so I wasn't working with my usual group of missionaries. I was assigned to work with a very rambunctious group of 19 year olds. It was going along smoothly until one of them suddenly piped up....."Hey, Sister Hartley, are you married?" "No, I am not" I coldly replied. Class time was not the place to be discussing my marital status and I tried to shut them down with my tone. Then all of a sudden 4 or 5 of them jumped up and in absolute heartfelt delight yelled........"We know your husband!!". "What are you talking about" I said "I just told you, I am not married". "Yeah but we know who you are going to marry and he is awesome!!!!, he is our teacher and you are totally going to marry him". With that they all just ran out of the room. This was a huge no no to leave the room during class time. Everything was out of control and I was freaking out. They ran off to who knows where leaving me and 4 other missionaries alone. I was furious!! After what seemed like forever but was probably 4 or 5 min, they came back dragging their teacher behind them. Actually, they were literally carrying him and he was laughing his head off.
Sunshine is the only way to describe him. He had white blond hair and looked like he had spent most of his days surfing on a California beach. His eyes were clear ocean blue, his smile was bigger than the room and I could tell by his unabashed laughter as they dragged him in that laughing was what he did best. I could also tell, even though he was being taken against his will, that these missionaries loved him and the rapport and connection between them was deeper than I had seen with any of the other teachers and their students. There was a brotherly bond.
"Elder Bray, this is Sister Hartley. Sister Hartley, this is Elder Bray" they breathlessly said as they set him down. "Sister Hartley, meet your husband" they said to me and then turned to him and said "Elder Bray, go ahead, she's going to be your wife so, you better ask her out".
AWKWARD, to say the least!! I couldn't believe this was happening to me, I wanted to die. Luckily he was a little more composed than I was and just calmly laughed it off and told them to get back to work and stop thinking about girls, dating and marriage. He smiled at me, turned and headed back to his class. I tried to get back to work but those missionaries just kept gushing about Elder Bray and how amazing he is. Everything I did to try and get them back to business would just be one more invitation to tell me another great thing about their teacher and, as they put it, my future husband.
Class finally ended I headed to the teachers lounge to fill out my reports. I turned the corner and to my horror, there was Mr. Sunshine sitting on the table smiling and talking to another teacher. I wanted to crawl under it. I smiled awkwardly as I went to pass him and then to my shock, out of the blue, he grabbed me, put me in sort of a choke hold, and rustled up my hair (a noogie). WHO DOES THAT!! I was desperately trying to keep some dignity and composure in another extremely awkward situation. I was a strait laced girl looking for a serious boy and this surfer dude was freaking me out!! I had no words and was trying to act somewhat normal in a very bizarre situation. He looked me straight in the eyes and just started to laugh. I said something stupid like "ha ha those crazy missionaries", got out of his grasp and quickly headed off to fill out my reports. Who was this guy and why was he not obeying any social norms?
I took my time hoping he would leave so as to not have to endure another grabbing incident but he just kept laughing and talking. I couldn't quite tell, but it kinda seemed like he was waiting for me......sure enough as I finally got up to walk out he jumped off the table and stepped in line with me, I guess we were walking out together?
He had such an easy manner about him and very quickly all the awkwardness just melted away. Talking to him was as easy as breathing and within minutes we were laughing about the classroom incident like old friends. I was completely at ease.......that was until, halfway to the parking lot, out of the blue, he said "Hey, do you want to feel my muscles?"
Oh Great! Another curve ball.
Little did I know there were many more to come!
To be continued
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
"Do you want to feel my muscles?" Love Story Part 2
at
6:30 AM
Labels: love story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


23 comments:
What a character! Can't wait to hear more.
This is a great story. I think someone should do a study to see how many couples meet at the MTC and end up married. Feel my muscles, huh? What a great line...
That is hysterical! The Lord works in mysterious ways...
Okay- Why have I NEVER heard this story? I can hear Chris saying that. :) I can't wait to hear the rest!
This is so fun!! Can't wait to hear more!
did he seriously say that? oh my gosh!
Yes, Brooklyn he did say that, aren't you so embarassed for him!!and I have to say I would love to hear your story too....I don't know it. Actually to all above....I would love to hear all of your stories. Everyone has a story and it is fun to hear how it all happened.
I'm enjoying this story as well! Can't wait to hear more.
Does he still ask you to feel his muscles, lol, that is hilarious!
I am totally telling my story as well on my blog now, thanks for the inspiration!
You've got me laughing and crying all at the same time! What a great story. It's amazing how the lord sends us who we need and who balances us out rather than who or what we think we need.
I am a rare few who don't really get 'into' romance stories b/c my own is so amazing, but this one of yours Sister Bray has me on the edge of my seat! How fun is this... shhh don't tell anyone though,esp mymom, she might have a heart attack LOL
signed: the anti Twilight mom LOL
I LOVE your love story! I hope you give us part 3 soon! Gosh, I don't think mine is as exciting as this!!! So funny, cute and sweet....love it!
You should write a book...REALLY
yes! i am very embarassed for him. how did he end up with a girl like you after a comment like that? (you know i am joking chris).
and i will consider myself tagged - one (or two or three) posts on "our story" coming up soon.
Gale that is AWESOME!!! I did my ugly cry/laugh reading the part of him grabbing you in a neck hold and giving you a noogie...Oh man, that is so darn funny! What on earth was he thinking..."I think I'll give that cute girl a noogie...OH YEA that'll get her." He is AWESOME!!! So glad you married him - it has made for so many great hilarious moments and memories. Love'em all. He really is such a great guy. Great writing too Gale!!
Oh no...a whole new laughing spell...just picturing what your hair was like back then too...Oh make it stop...more tears...
Chris read this last night and claims he doesn't remeber giving me the noogie. "I don't think I did that" he said "That's just not like me". (trust me he did it, it is ingrained in my memory) So I asked "you do remember asking me to feel your mucsles right?" "Oh yeah of course that is totally like me."
Oh.My.Word.
I'm feeling kind of embarrassed . . . it's like watching an episode of 'The Office'.
What a nut!
*my husband and I met as teachers at the MTC as well
This entire story sounds like Chris. And aren't you glad you didn't end up with a sophisticated dud? By the way, a very happy belated birthday Chris!
This is a DARLING story!!! THank you for sharing it! Can't wait to read the next part!
I love it! That is so hilarious! And I think it is funny that he is in denial about the noogie, but not about feeling his muscles! HA!
What's not to love about Chris?!
Happy Birthday to him!
We love you guys!!!!
Love the story, can't wait for the rest. We need to write ours. It's funny how different the story can be from each of your perspective. I'm sure chris really did give you a noogie! Happy Birthday Chris. I did get your text, I'm just ignoring it, hoping the meeting will get cancelled.
gale...
the anticipation is killing me! i can't wait to hear the conclusion! HURRY....
:)
This story is so funny. And I love what you just wrote about asking him about it the other day. Hilarious. I can just picturing him saying it.
Post a Comment