Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fool

No matter how hard I try I just can't get it right. I have made at least one of my girls cry every single April Fools day. The worst was when Chloe was in 2nd grade. I made her lunch and sent her off to school...unbeknownst to her the lunch consisted of 1 whole onion, a potato and a tomato. At lunch I was hiding in the wings waiting with a hot lunch from Chic-Fil-A for her. I just knew she would open the lunch pull the funny stuff out, laugh and then I would come forward with her yummy lunch. No, she opened that lunch and burst into tears, hysterical tears. I ran to her quickly but she never really calmed down and told me that I had humiliated her and all her friends had seen the onion and potato and she was sooo embarrassed. Each year I have done milder jokes like rigging the kitchen sprayer so they get doused when they turn on the water, tears again. So yesterday I woke up and thought, "I am going easy on them, Salt in their juice". So I served them whole wheat waffles and gave them each a glass of juice. Olivia dove in to her breakfast and then took a drink....shocked face, spit out and laughter....yeah, I did it! Then Elle came in, began eating and then she took a drink, shocked face.....silence......more silence. So Chris and I joyfully yell, "April Fools"! Big alligator tears and then she ran into the laundry room and wouldn't come out. That's it, I am done with April fools. I just can't seem to get it right or maybe I just need to toughen up my girls. Funny thing Elle had no problem being in on giving the juice to Chloe later and she was right in line to rig the sprayer up to douse Dad. I wonder who I will make cry next year?

By the way, Chloe and Olivia rigged the sprayer on me when they left for piano lessons and I got drenched, ha ha.....maybe I should have cried!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

This is Tom's idea: "Lets tell them that since they have taken such good care of the birds, we have a special surprise in the laundry room for them. (Of course they would be thinking the ultimate gift...a puppy.) When they go in, we'll just have a sign that says APRIL FOOLS.
I knew the outcome to that one would be horrible.
We just turned their alarms clocks off and that was just the right amount of kidding. They got to miss the stinky bus ride to school and actually have a hot breakfast instead of cereal. Call me a lightweight, but I know my kids and what would be funny and what would not.

Bray said...

yeah, the dog thing would have been bad..........I always think I know what will be funny but they always come out of left field and start crying....Oh well, it will make for a good laugh later in life.

leslie s said...

Gale, I can't believe that Chloe was in second grade, that seems like yesterday - I remember being at the school with you, we got there a little late, Chloe's teacher came running to us when we got there...So not funny! LOL :)

Ok, so I did the same thing to Lydia today - I put a potato (unbaked & not a monster) in her lunch with a April Fools note attached to it...She didn't cry!!!
She said that everyone in the class was laughing. She loved the attention. WHEW!!

okbushmans said...

We are trying to toughen Brenna up before even attempting to April Fools her! THANK YOU for bringing her on your errunds today. She had so much fun...of course she burst into tears when it was over! I don't know where these girls get their emotions! We aren't emotional girls!

amy said...

Don't give up!! Or just put all your efforts into Chris. My personal favorite has been white toothpaste between the oreo cookies - or enlarge a scary picture of your face and put it between the toilet seats. The list goes on and on and it's just too fun to quit. Best of luck next year.