Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sisters


I have had many many people question me on why I adopted a girl. Isn't that funny? it is to me! I just keep getting comments like. "Wow you have 4 girls already and you adopted another one? Why didn't you adopt a boy?" I often feel that people can't comprehend that I am not pining to have a boy in the mix.

I know that a boy in the family would be a treasure and my friends who have boys just love having a little man around but I NEVER feel empty, hope for, or feel incomplete because I have all girls. I just feel like Chris and I were meant to be the parents of these amazing girls and it all feels so right and so absolutely wonderful. There is no question that we were meant to adopt a girl and I never thought twice about it. I love having 4 sisters. My sisters are my lifeline, greatest confidants and best friends. I can't imagine my life without them. There is something about a sister who sees you through all your school dances, first kisses, marriage and babies and knows everything about you. It is a relationship that, aside from my husband, is unequaled.

So tonight as Olivia got ready for her big cotillion dance I loved seeing her rely on her big sister. Chloe did her makeup and hair, gave her advise, and cheered her on right to the drop off. I can't tell you how happy it made me to see the love and closeness they share. I watched and thought about my love for and reliance on my sisters and I see those same bonds between my daughters and it just fills me with joy. I am grateful that Eve will be surrounded by hair and makeup advise, someone to always tell her secrets to, and a safety net that will be there long after I am gone.
Getting ready before the dance
At the dance with her best friend Taylor
I think she looked stunning last night!! My little girl is growing up.

8 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

Beautiful!!!

Love Being A Nonny said...

Yes, she looks beautiful! And a house full of girls sounds WONDERFUL to me....

Jen said...

Chloe looks beautiful.

I totally understand where you are coming from with the girls. I have 3 boys. People always ask me if I wish I had a girl. I always tell them that Heavenly Father sends who is suppose to be in my home. It's not about having boys or having girls, it's all about having the children you are suppose to have and who you are meant to raise. If I have more children and I get a girl, then I will be thrilled, but definitely not more or less thrilled than if I get a boy. I just get excited to meet my children when they finally come.

Jen said...

P.S. I meant to say Olivia. SORRY :)

Mikala said...

Gorgeous girls! We have three little girls and I get so annoyed when people ask if we wished we'd had a boy instead of all girls. I pine for more girls!

Bray said...

Mikala, I saw the picture of your girls and they are adorable....oh but girls are lots of drama too. But I wouldn't trade it for anything!

leslie s said...

I just love those two girls. Olivia you look stunning. Gale, sisters are wonderful...I'm sure glad for mine!! Love you!

Laurel said...

You have played a huge "sister" role in my life. Thanks for appreciating life and the best parts of it so well.
That has always been one of my favorite things about you. Beautiful Olivia!