Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Today I wanted to steal from the needy and homeless

This is twice in one week that I have horrified myself.

I spent the morning at the hope center organizing food donations. I made one huge mistake......I had a busy morning and I arrived having eaten nothing all day. I was hungry, very hungry. It began just fine. Sorting canned goods, you know green beans and corn and I was just fine. Anything expired goes to the side to be thrown away. It was the moment I had to sort the cake and muffin mixes that I started to feel weak. Orange cranberry, blueberry, chocolate chunk. I began having evil thoughts like "Oh my gosh I would love to go home and make Orange cranberry muffins, really do the homeless even have ovens? I don't think so! I know there are needy families with ovens but c'mon....Orange cranberry muffins are a luxury, even at my house."

I would have a few of these thoughts and then in shock reign myself in and self loath for a few minutes until the cookies and granola bars needed to be sorted. I found myself looking at expiration dates and praying for something, anything that was 2008 and too far gone to stock on a shelf. I was then struggling with the dilemma, do I just open it up and eat it here? In front of everyone? Will I need to explain that it is expired and going to be thrown out anyway? Will they see me as George Costanza in Seinfeld who found the eclair in the trash and ate it anyway. Really who hasn't eaten something expired? But would all that explaining make me look like a crazy, hungry lady. I was losing it. The hours ticked by and I tried to work on only canned spinach or other things that looked revolting but then I had to sort the chocolate and candy. I found myself justifying my awful thoughts by wondering at the fact that needy people were being given chocolate.  Who is donating chocolates? Belgian chocolates imported from Europe? The only reason someone would donate something yummy like that is if it was expired, yes I am sure it is expired. Dang 2009.

I am home now, had lunch and am again in my right mind and horrified by the secret thoughts of the morning, that are secret no more. This is my way of doing penance for my evil ways.

I have now confessed. :)

8 comments:

leslie s said...

YOU ARE A SPAZ!! Isn't Bernard enough for you, you deviant chocolate traitor. LOL - I wish I had been there to crave with you - but after making 900 chocolates and truffles myself nothing about imported chocolates even tempts me. Perhaps I should give some away to the homeless and temp some other unsuspecting volunteer.

Ashley said...

That is so funny! Have no fear, I can't judge you, as I haven't, in recent memory, spent any time sorting anything for anyone. What you do outweighs what you think, right? Boy, I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness... I have done THE SAME thing at our food pantry. LOL!

I think, wow, those look so good, but then feel like I would be struck down. LOL

Our Family said...

I wish I could send some Orange Cranberry muffins your way. Now, I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Gotta love George and the eclaire..."It was on the top!"
This reminded me of the time my MIL got up on the middle of the night craving the brownies in the kitchen, only to discover someone had beat her to it.
She saw a hunk of what looked like brownie on the floor and popped it in her mouth.
It tasted bitter and it wiggled.

It was a huge spider!

okbushmans said...

I am always hungry. It is a miracle I don't weigh 500lbs. We all have been there. Needy-schmeedy, my tummy is empty! Just consider it the service tax!

Misty said...

rite aid!

Tiff said...

LOL..this is to funny! I love that you compared your hunger to George on Seinfeld...glad you made it through it! :)