Saturday, October 11, 2008

Those crazy Mormons

Growing up I often heard people say... "oh you are Mormon, so do you store food?" to which I would reply "yes". I would get many reactions from laughing to a roll of the eyes etc. It was always a little embarrassing until my friends came over and were hungry and I would open this room that looked like a mini store and we would engage in our search for some awesome snacks. Dried bananas, chocolate, sugar cubes (I have no idea why but we had a huge box of sugar cubes) and many other sundries.

Well, it doesn't seem so crazy to people anymore, in fact so many of our friends are coming to us and asking "How do you do this food storage thing and how do we get started". It makes sense when you see how fragile the economy is that having food on hand in case of emergency or loss of job is a wise strategy. Part of the reason we moved is to have a room for our food storage. We began organizing it today, yeah!!

Here is the before picture. Yes everyone needs FLAVOR ICE in their food storage! Chris working on the shelving, to the right is my friend Karen who had just put her shelves up the day before so, being a pro at it, she came early this morning to help us...so nice.
Shelves full of food. It is nice to have it organized as now we can see what we have and begin using it. Yeah for us!!!

On another note!!
After all our work Chris took Chloe to her "Young Women in Excellence" church activity tonight. As they were rushing out the door they just looked so cute together and so I screamed "stop!!".....I ran and got my camera and snapped a quick pic of them. As I looked at it I just can't believe that my daughter is growing up so fast. She was just a little pre-teen girl and now she just looks so mature. It is freaking me out. Not to mention she has such a cute sense of style!!

10 comments:

A Farmer's Wife said...

I love this post! Food storage is of paramount importance! When I first started my food storage I was really overwhelmed...thinking I have to have every thing and I have to have it all RIGHT NOW!!! One strategy that has really helped me is when I run out of one thing I replace it with two. For example, if I run out of one tube of toothpaste I replace it with two tubes. I always do this and I have been amazed at how fast my storage has come along! We also store loads of wheat and water! We are looking into having a water storage tank installed this winter. What do you do for your water storage?

Maggie May said...

can i come over and eat?

and your daughter is gorgeous.

Bray said...

Maggie,
Absolutely you can come over and eat....it is funny you said that because when I told my husband that I was going to blog about it he said "I don't think you should do that, if the economy goes really bad then everyone will know where to come for food, we will be bombarded." Ha ha. I told him the more the merrier!

Farmers wife: I love your idea of replacing 1 with 2, I think I will do that.
I have a lot of wheat also, I grind it and use it everyday so I go through it really quickly. As for water we have a water service so I am constantly rotating it and I always have 100-150 gallons on hand but I know that is not enough. Once we get everything organized I am going to reevaluate and fill in where we are lacking.

Sunshine said...

Go YOU on the food storage. You are always on task. We need to catch up soon!!! miss you...

okbushmans said...

We are just starting to look at really building food storage, beginning with 3 mo. supply. I am one to get overwhelmed easily, go crazy, and then regret my over-reation. So I am trying to do baby steps, and it has worked out so far. And Chloe is no longer pre-teen but pre-adult. It is crazy!

Anonymous said...

They look so proud. I bet you are glad you grabbed your camera when you did! I love Chloe's dress. She looks great in it!
Your new food storage is very impressive!

Jennie said...

Karen is a real pro, huh? :) Your food storage looks great. Can we come eat with you guys? And Chloe and Chris look awesome,too.

Anonymous said...

did you get those shelves from shelf reliance? that is where we got ours, love them!!!

and nice daddy/daughter pic :)

Unknown said...

I love your shelves... what kind are they?

Bray said...

They are Shelf Reliance. I like them because you can rotate it.