Last night as I was wrapping up the day there was a quiet moment when Chloe said "Mom, can I ask you a question?" There was a cadence to her tone that indicated something serious. "Sure" I said. "Do you feel stressed when Daddy is gone?" she asked. That was an easy one, "Yes, I replied, a little bit......when he is gone it is a little more work, Why?" The reply was a mini bombshell, "Because you just don't seem really happy, are you happy?" I'm absolutely happy....deliriously happy.....deeply happy, I replied slightly defensive, I am so surprised you would say that. Why would you say that?" "You just don't seem happy lately Mom" "What do you mean by lately" I asked. Then another bombshell...."Well, the past while....few weeks, month or so." Again I said slightly defensively "Well Chloe you don't have a very good read on me because I am so so, happy I can hardly stand it happy, super duper incandescently happy (I had to throw in a bit of Pride and Prejudice) happy happy happy." She just shrugged with a slightly disbelieving look and walked away. I was incensed....what in heavens name was she talking about.
I have done some self reflecting since that conversation and her question combined with the fact that someone I love and respect called me about a week ago and out of the blue asked me if she had offended me in some way......again I was completely shocked.....why in heavens name would she think that? She said I had been acting colder and more distant. Well, It was time for me to figure out why those around me are feeling shut out. It is strange in light of the fact that I have felt more joy of late than almost any other time in my life. So what kind of vibe am I giving off to others???? I have thought about this and I tend to be a deep thinker. I have thought through every angle of life and what I am not sure about I read to find out. I philosophize everything. I feel bad for my sisters because lately every time I call them we end up talking for an hour on the most thought provoking serious subjects (they are a lot like me). I love it, but when I am in a time like this where I am always fathoms deep because there is so much that Chris and I are doing and figuring out, I realize that I am more somber than I realize. I feel so happy but no one around me can see it because I am deep in thought all the time.
So today I am making a conscious decision to smile and laugh. I have thought enough, there is so much going on in my head but I need to relax and just laugh and make sure that the Mom my kids remember is laughing, happy, and having fun. I appreciate and love Chloe for asking the question. It was a reality check that I needed.
Friday, February 15, 2008
Reality Check
at
7:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
hahaha you are so funny. i have noticed a difference :)
xoxox
chloe
Thank goodness for kids, it seems that our kids can tell us things that others can't. I love that you take your kids seriously. You are such a cute mom! Your kids are lucky to have you!
You are always so happy Gale, it is OK to take some time to think sometimes esp when you have lots on your mind, and I know that you have had lots going on lately! You of all people don't need to worry about this. That said, I love how you are always striving to be a better mom for your kids! HUGS!
A while back, I had two different people from my ward say the same thing to me. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what I was doing differently because I felt happy. I laughed when you said you got defensive because I felt the same way. Its hard to convince someone, in words, that you happy....you just sound more defensive.
Cudos for Chloe for caring enough to say something. Oh and would you tell Chloe that Cole loved that she left a Happy Birthday comment.
I'm so glad we blog! For being so busy, we keep in contact somehow! And yes, we need to get the girls together!
Gale, I think you shine with a happy countenance. I am a deep thinker, too, and sometimes give the wrong vibe. Just be yourself and know that you are such a joy to those around you. Katelyn is a lot like Chloe because that is something she would say to me, too. :)
Hi Gale,
Thanks for leaving me a note on my blog. I have to admit that I've been peeking at your blog here and there. You have a beautiful family.
Your post made me want to share that I remember you as a caring, happy, kind, beautiful and generous person. You were always so willing to involve me and make me feel important (even though I was your friends little sister). Heck, you were so thoughtful that I even remember something about you flushing fruit down the toilet for the starving children in Africa... :)
Loves,
Delise
I am laughing so hard at your comment Delise...It was money that I flushed down the toilet. I saw a documentary about the starving
3rd world children and they were bathing, the narriator said something about them having to bath in sewer water. I asked my Mom what sewer water was and when she said it is where the water goes when you flush the toilet. Well, Whalah...I knew how to help. I would carefully wrap money in tin foil and flush it down the toilet and had visions of these poor children bathing and suddenly my packages would arrive and save the day. I have no idea how much I flushed but I was pretty consistant in my offerings so it could have been quite a bit. Thanks for reminding me and making me laugh tonight.
Whew...at least the foil wrapped money would go down a little easier than say a canteloupe!
Post a Comment