(Just a note: you may want to read the post before this one first if you haven't.)
On the way to visit the Foster family an overwhelming sadness came over me and I began to question the whole day. Everything felt out of sorts and wrong. I think at that point if someone had asked if we would just like to head back to Nanchung I would have said yes, I am glad they didn’t.
Here I am bewildered as the mother takes Eve from me and out of the van.
When we arrived in this small village we first went to the home of the Tate’s foster family. We knew that the two foster families lived very close to each other so we knew they were right there. At this point Eve had finally fallen asleep in my arms and I said to Chris “you go ahead and take some pictures, I will stay here and let her sleep”. He headed out and suddenly I could see out the window a little lady seeming to be in an absolute tizzy and looking everywhere in a panic. I suddenly sensed that this was Eve’s foster mother and she was desperately trying to find Eve. Through the translator Chris told her that Eve was sleeping in the van and without any hesitation she marched right over to the van taking loudly and very fast as if she was upset and opened the door came right up to me, grabbed Eve out of my arms, woke her up and took her out. I stumbled out behind her in a daze as this all happened so fast. By the time I got to her she was surrounded by 5 or 6 of the neighbor women all kissing on and adoring Eve. I swear her foster mother kissed Eve’s cheeks a million times.
One of the many kisses
As I watched this scene unfold I felt so happy that I had come. The orphanage seemed so cold and stark and here at least there was love. It made me so grateful that Eve had been one of the lucky ones to go to foster care.


This mother never let me hold Eve again the whole time we were there. She kissed and kissed her cheek and showed her off to everyone as if she was proud and wanted to show everyone that Eve was well dressed and had a good family. The home was small and made of only concrete with no heat.
One of the children she is also caring for.....
I am sure her forever mom and day will be coming soon
As I left the foster mother I thanked her for taking care of my daughter for 8 months and gave her a gift. The orphanage director told her to give Eve to me, she did reluctantly. Then a minute or two later she grabbed Eve back out of my arms and kissed her some more. The orphanage director came back and gave her a little scolding and then looked at me and motioned for me to take Eve back. It was a little battle but I understood, I can’t imagine caring for Eve for 8 months and then having to just give her up.







7 comments:
..but it HAD to be scary...oh the emotions!
What an experience!
Eve sucks her 2 middle fingers....so did Meg.
She is beautiful and I hope you have a safe journey home. The girls must be going crazy to have her home!
Gale, I've been following your journey and each time I read a new post I have to wipe away a tear. I had to comment today and tell you how moved I am by Eve's story. This is such an amazing journey!
One of my dearest friends was left on an orphanage door step in Korea and when she was 6 months old she was adopted to wonderful parents. She now has a college degree, is a Return Missionary and has lived a beautiful life. I know it will be the same for Eve. She is so blessed and so lucky.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. I can't tell you enough what a wonderful example you are to me.
So touching Gale. I'm teary eyed now. Glad you had such a moving experience, and she's all yours now AND forever!
You write so well, I felt like I was right there! Thanks for sharing that story. Eve is going to love reading that when she gets older! Congratulations again, she is so cute!
I want to kiss EVE's little cheeks! I love your blog! Thanks for keep us updated!!!!
Thanks for all your posts. It's really interesting to see the whole process from this perspective. When Eve is older she will appreciate having these photos immensely.
Post a Comment