Day two
Every night we find ourselves falling into bed absolutely exhausted. Each day is filled to capacity with sight seeing and adventure. There is another group of two families from Ireland who are also adopting that are staying at our hotel. They had a similar schedule to ours on the first day but yesterday we had a very heavy wind storm , the worst in seven years. They told their guide that they just wanted to stay in the hotel all day and relax. When we went down to meet our guide she showed us the storm and how very few people were outdoors, I think she was hoping that we would make the same choice as the other group and call it quits but no we went full steam ahead, storm and all, and had a full day of sight seeing. We started out at the Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square, it was amazing. We did some shopping and then saw a Chinese acrobatic show that was absolutely incredible. In the evening we did a little more shopping and then went to a street market that sells food and snacks. Wow are their snacks ever different from ours. Our options were: fried scorpion on a stick, fried silk worms, fried grasshopper, snake on a stick, or maybe some lamb testicles. Several vendors kept asking if we wanted some penis (not sure what animal that came from). Needless to say, I wasn’t snacking! I observed and took pictures and watched in amazement as many of the locals enjoyed their evening treats.
Today we will be heading to Nanchang in preparation to get Eve tomorrow. It has been so fun to see the sights but we are ready to have our daughter in our arms.


















7 comments:
The Silk Worm isn't too bad. I think you should bring some back for Carol...If I remember correctly she missed her opportunity to try it. :) YUM!
Gale you look amazing (Chris you do too)! I can't wait to see picture of Eve...in your arms!
Love you both.
--L
oops - I was still signed in as you.
I can't wait to see more pictures, especially of Eve! I should have given you a shopping list too! :)
I can only imagine how impatient you are. But what fabulous sightseeing to make the time move faster. I've actually been to Beijing once and it was by far the most exciting trip I've ever done. I bought some great jewelry at the Pearl Market and some beautiful little boxes at the Shard Box shop. I highly recommend a trip there for some souvenirs for the girls (if you have anymore time to kill in Beijing).
Gale and Chris
Thanks for posting. Geoff and I leave in just a week and seeing you there laughing and adventuring in spite of the storm gives me a great good feeling.
Thanks!
Amy
What an amazing experience you must be having. I cannot even imagine. I'm SO excited for you to get your baby girl! I'm just so happy for your family!
gale, you look oh so beautiful, adoption agrees with you! and we can't wait to meet eve.
and leslie, what are you talking about - eating those silk worms was like eating petrified paint thinner. we are just a few of those rare individuals who will do almost anything for 20 bucks!
Post a Comment