
I have always loved that line from the Dixie Chick's song "Cowboy Take Me Away".
"I wanna touch the earth
I wanna break it in my hands
I wanna grow something wild and unruly"
I grew up with a massive garden in my back yard. In the summertime, as the afternoon eased into evening, it was common to hear my Mom say, "Gale run out to the garden and pick some carrots, beets and swiss chard for dinner". I would run out and gather the required vegies for our evening meal and pray the whole time that I wouldn't see a Daddy Long Leg (they were my greatest fear).
I have wanted to have a garden forever but this is my first summer to actually make that dream a reality and last night for the fist time I said "Chloe will you run out to the garden and pick some swiss chard for dinner." It brought me so much joy to eat fresh green vegies from my garden. I am not a pro so my garden is a little bit 'wild and unruly' (actually so is the little girl weeding it) but it tastes SO good!

18 comments:
Wow! That garden has come a long way since I was there!! It looks anything but "Wild and Unruly"! Good job Gale!
I covet your garden
I think that's just wonderful - and what cute photos to accompany those delicious veggies!
I'm trying to figure out what "swiss chard" is?
I used to have a big vegetable garden years ago and I loved it! Your garden looks great.
AWESOME garden!!! I love it!!! Congratulations!
Looks great Gale! We just planted ours a couple weeks ago. (It was cold here for too long!) We haven't seen the fruits of our labors yet. Yours looks great! By the way- what is swiss chard? I don't think I've ever had it.
Your garden looks beautiful, I imagine it inspires lots of yummy, helathy meals.
Yummy! I'm so jealous!! Every year I say I'm going to plant a garden, but have yet to do it. One of these days...
Swiss chard is like spinach but a little sweeter tasting (just my opinion). Similar to beet greens if you have had those.
Sorry Gale...I just got caught up in the moment and started answering questions to your blog...I'm a spazzz...:)
Love the idea of a garden that actually feeds us... But we don't have enough yard - so grocery store produce will have to do.
I am VERY impressed! I could only ask Brenna to go pick some dandelions for dinner. What a fabulous garden.
oh i am jealous!!!
Hey! We are working ground today trying to get ready to plant our garden and do some long awaited and much needed landscaping.
In a continuous effort to cure my rampant ignorance...I'm curious about Swiss Chard. What is it and how do you use it?
Also - I loved the comment you left on my blog about going to school this Fall! I'm so excited for you! Oklahoma is definitely the best place for education...so many universities! I attended OCU (Oklahoma City University) School of Law and I LOVED it!!! I really need to find a good Master's program for US History online given that here in the middle of no-where universities with graduate studies are a day's drive away. Do you have any suggestions? I've looked a little at American Military University but when I had questions I couldn't get them on the phone. Any suggestions would be most appreicated!
THANK YOU and SORRY for the LONG post!
Xela (pronounced 'Shayla', it's from my Dad's mission to Guatemala and El Salvador)
looks awesome! we have been wondering where we can put a big veggie garden in our yard so we can pick our dinner ingredients or salad. LOVE it! How rewarding~
Good for you! If I planted a garden like that I would simply be feeding the deer. Looks awesome!
Hi Gale - just commenting to say hi and hope you and your whole family are enjoying your summer! haven't seen you around the blogosphere much and hope all is well! Christy
Just thinking of you. Hope all is OK.
Post a Comment