This was pretty much a dominant thought of my childhood. Why you may ask? Did I grow up in an abusive home where I was unloved or neglected? Not a chance, I grew up in a stable happy home with amazing loving parents. So why would I spend any time wishing I was in an orphanage? I will tell you why, because my mother made it sound like the greatest place on earth. I would sit by her side in the evening and she would tell stories, amazing stories of intrigue and adventure. I wanted so badly to hide my apples in the snow by the orphanage steps only to gather them hours later and scrape my teeth across the frozen apple flesh for a delectable rarely experienced treat. I wanted to arrive at the orphanage with my little stash of worldly belongings and have the girls gather round me to see what I had and begin bartering and trading our goods. I wanted to sing Christmas carols in the big hall and gather to get our one gift that Christmas, an orange, which my mother made sound like the greatest gift ever received (citrus fruit was very rare for them). I wanted to feel the way that she did about that one orange. I wanted to relish fruit so much that I would trade my one prized possession, a carved wooden box that held an assortment of perfume, for one solitary lemon and never regret the trade. I wanted to sit on the large front oak steps that she described in detail and dream of all the things I would do and be.
My mother, at the time of her arrival, with her younger brother Leroy.

As I relive these stories now I feel the same feelings that I did when I was a child. My lucky lucky mother!!
As an adult I have now come to fully realize what an amazing woman my mother is. I have learned from her to try to find joy in everything I face or experience. I now believe that the orphanage couldn't have been the wonderland that she made it out to be. I can only guess of the pain and hurt a child must feel when abandoned and left alone in a strange place. I know how it must have been so difficult as she and her 4 year old brother were left without a mother or father hold and care for them. To this day she would dispute any of these thoughts I now have. "Oh Gale", she would say, "life was so good and so happy for me, my Father in Heaven was mindful and I was so very blessed". I never heard words like; abandoned, fear, sadness, alone, victim. She spoke only in terms of joy and optimism. She only shared one experience that was sad at all, and each time she told it, she and I would both cry. It was how sad she felt the morning after her arrival as she walked to breakfast and saw her 4 year old brother toddling down the hall carrying his sheets, almost too heavy for him to carry, to the laundry room as he had wet the bed that night. That was the only negative she ever shared and oh I knew she felt so sad for him. She never spoke of her own pain.
I am even amazed at how she speaks of raising 8 children. Again, if I even mention how hard it must have been to raise 8 children she brushes it off and says "Oh Gale, I have no memory of it being hard at all, it was a joy". Well, I lived in that house and I know it wasn't always a joy, there were very very hard times and struggles that would overwhelm anyone. We lived in a 1800 sq foot house with one bathroom, no shower, and no dishwasher. I feel shame if I ever complain??
Some would say oh she is unrealistic and in la la land. I will admit at times I have been frustrated by her continual optimism but now at this stage in my life I know she came to this earth with more wisdom than most. She has chosen to see joy in pain and peace in struggle and she is the better because of it. She is full of joy. I am grateful today as mothers day is coming close for an amazing mother. I pray that I can be half the woman she is.
*As a side note both her parents were alive when she was taken to this orpanage to live. That is a story for another day. An amazing story.
15 comments:
My favorite bed time stories were of moms childhood! We really did win the Mom lottery. She is amazing!
Wow! I am so glad you shared this. What an amazing mother. I too was blessed to have a very optimistic mother, who loved being a mother.
This was a great reminder to find the joy in everything. Thank you
Just like you I had those same feelings of longing to be raised in an orphanage.
And isn't grandma the cutest little girl ever? So cute!
She is one of the rare people who find true happiness in life. Most of us get caught up in our angsty little dramas...and there's nothing wrong with that...but to be able to find joy in every day - no matter what the challenges? That's truly amazing.
Thanks for sharing this Gale! That is so sweet, and your mother sounds like an amazing woman. It's so interesting to me that two people can have like experiences, and one comes away jaded, and broken, and one comes away changed and a better person from it. Your mom sounds like she gained an amazing perspective, and has lived a life of joy, because of that. I want to hear the rest of the story now. :)
Oh my GOSH!!! I'm sitting here looking at the picture of your mother and her brother...such ADORABLE children...my heart breaks for them!!! What a treasure your mother must be!!! Thank you for sharing this story! She definitely exemplifies "Come What May And Love It" from Fall 2008 General Conference!
what a wonderful story! speaking of great moms, you seem like the coolest mom ever! you and your family seem so very happy. What kind of family traditions do you have? my husband and I have been trying to brainstorm traditions we can start with our little boy!
I just love listening to Grandma's stories. I drove her from Cardston to Salt Lake a few weeks before my wedding, and she told me so many stories! (repeating them many times too)
She is great. (and can i link this post to my blog?)
I almost cried reading this - and I love the picture of your mom and uncle Leroy. She was such a beautiful little girl. I don't think I've ever seen that picture. I've always loved your mom and am so glad that grandma Terry came into her life to raise her! Karly
Oh - one more thing...do you have the book "The Christmas Orange"? I bought it for Christmas years ago at the church bookstore. Beautiful story and pictures about a little girl in an orphanage. Karly
Karly, I have prayed many heartfelt prayers of thanks for Grandma Terry. The blessing she was and the effect her choice had on so many lives is endless. I will eventually have to tell the rest of the story because it is so good.
Karly Karly Karly...I miss you! you are one of my favorite people on earth!!
Doyles,
I think I will do a post on family traditions. I love hearing about others and I have loved creating my own. Yes, I think I will do that! Thanks for the idea.
Gale, Karly told me to come and read this post...and now I am crying! I have so many memories of Aunt Lorraine and just how sweet, and like you said, optimistic she always was, and still is! I remember I had no idea that Grandma wasn't her biological mother and was shocked when I found out...such an amazing story.
And just a little side story about your mom that makes me laugh...a couple years ago I was at my parents house and your mom called and we totally talked on the phone for like for like 15 minutes, she was asking me lots of questions...then se called back a few minutes later and it was like we'd never talked...she just started over, and we had the same conversation! Haha! It was so cute!
xo Talia
Your mom sounds amazing! What a great post so close to Mother's Day! I can't wait to hear more about her story! You have such an exciting life...I feel so boring. :(
Wow Gale, what an amazing story of an amazing lady. What a great documentation of seeing the glass 1/2 full.
I love the way Kate commented above saying, "Most of us get caught up in our angsty little dramas...and there's nothing wrong with that...but to be able to find joy in every day - no matter what the challenges? That's truly amazing."
I couldn't agree more! Wjat an inspirational post. Thanks!
Post a Comment