Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes"

I saw this idea over at The Rockstar Diaries and I decided to post some of my favorite things. I have loved reading what brings other people joy, we are all so different and it is fascinating to me. Here are my own personal "Raindrops on Roses"

1. My Family
2. Lemons and limes (they are all over my kitchen, it is a source of decorating for me). Around Christmastime I replace the lemons with pomegranates and it is limes and pomegranates everywhere. I adore the color Green!
3. Loud, shake the house, thunderstorms. It is a good thing I live where I do because I get these often.

4. Daughters =) 5. History especially US history. I feel an affinity to our founders that runs deep.

6. The way my husband smells

7. Kissing (# 6 made me think of this)


8. Books, Books, Books. All kinds but especially old ones bound in leather. If I can get my hands on a first edition of a book that I love, I am in heaven!! One of my most prized possessions is an LDS primary song book from the 1800's bound in leather. Oh I love that! I LOVE old books. 9. Depression Glass. I LOVE the green and the pink. I collect it and when we eat ice cream out of our green depression glass sherbets, or drink out of the pale pink juice cups I just feel immense joy!! It reminds me of my mother =).
10. Old things....I love old minds(they are wise), I love old books, I love old movies and movie posters, and I love old people (they have great stories).
11. Music. I wish my life should be set to a score or soundtrack. On a daily basis I am wondering when the cello or bass is going to kick in.......since there is no orchestra following me around, music is always playing, often too loud, everywhere that I can play it.

12. Simplicity. I am not great at very many things so I find I succeed by remaining simple. I am not gifted in decorating, so I use limes, I am not fashion forward so I stick to classic simple styles that never go out, I can't scrapbook so I blog. I have found great joy in my life by staying simple.

13. My girls songs. Everyday they sit at the piano and compose, it takes my breath away and I am amazed at their ability.

14. Forgiving and being kind (not always easy but brings such joy, and so it is worth it!)

15. Learning. I really don't read too much fiction because I hate to waste the time when I could be reading history, religion, or something of great intellectual importance. I love expanding my mind.

I need to stop because I was only planning on writing 10 and here I am at 15 but I just have to quickly say that I also LOVE the smell of dirt......and lilacs.....and my girls hair.....and a roast dinner.....and my pillow......and rain....ok I need to be done!!


This has made me happy.

7 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I'm happier for having read this. I love books too and think nothing is more exciting than having a favorite author actually sign one for you! I'm super geeky about my reading choices too. If I have a classic or something literary in hand then I don't care, but the sci-fi/fantasy and young adult stuff tends be tucked away in my bag where no one can see it (hello - Twilight!)

I'm a big smell person too. So a lot of my favorite things involve smells (as well as a lot of my un-favorite things too I guess...)

And I love the idea of "forgiving" being a favorite. It is hard to do and tends to be avoided as much as possible. Good for you embracing it!

Me in a nutshell (heavy on the nut!) said...

I thought I was the only one! I love reading history and think it's wasting my time to read and not be learning at the same time. I love depression glass, and ANYTHING old, especially old people and antique diamonds. I have a special juice cup for my 4 year old that's green depression glass - it's my favorite. My wardrobe is all classics, some say boring, but I say it saves time in the mornings. I too blog for my family, not organized enough for scrapbooking! I wish we lived closer! I went to high school with Chris and he was so funny back then! If you guys ever make it out our way let me know. We'd probably get along wonderfully! I'd love to meet you sometime.
Amy

Melissa said...

It is so good to actually write down what makes one happy. It makes us stop and realize how many great things surround us each day. Loved reading yours!

niki said...

what a great list gale!! i need to do this too - it's such a good reminder of all the wonderful things in life!

katie said...

what a great list! seriously :)

i just read your "orphanage" post and now you've got my full attention! what a great tribute to how strong and postive that your mother was! why and how did this happen to her???

Christy said...

I totally loved reading this list (yesterday) too. I didn't have time to comment then, but just wanted to say hi! Your family is just amazing...all the recent posts have really moved me - from Chloe, to your husband, to your mom - what a great legacy your girls are going to have when they read this blog down the road. Love it. :)

Anonymous said...

Love your list of favorite things! I don't know what it is about a list that is so gratifying! Especially when it is about your own favorites! I'm inspired...

will you share a list of your all time favorite books? I'm not a history buff, but love self improvement/parenting/real world stuff I can learn and use. Any suggestions?