Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Bringing shame to the family name

So, let me begin by saying that we feel very blessed to be in the home that we live in. Our home was a foreclosure so we got the deal of a lifetime and feel a little like the Jeffersons (movin on up and maybe a little out of our element). So we had a neighborhood block party this past weekend and it was a splendid affair. Our neighbors across the street both work for food companies, as well as another neighbor down the street so all the food was provided. One works for a beef jerky company, one for Pepsi and Frito Lay, another for a meat company. There were hot dogs, hamburgers, every kind of side dish and desert. The favorite spot for all the children was a huge stainless steel rack with every kind of chip, Dorito, cookie, granola bar available as well as all kinds of drinks. We were having a great time and then as the evening was winding down my neighbor who works for Pepsi/Frito Lay/Quaker says "Gale, grab a bag and take some granola bars and chips home, I have a garage full of stuff and if you could use some go ahead" I am thrilled at this invitation as this stuff will all work great in lunches and for snacks. So I grab a bag and begin filling it up when I notice that I am getting some funny looks. I then feel the need to justify my actions in front of everyone and say, "cmon I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to take some of this home. Come on ladies, grab a bag". Everyone gives me a sweet little smile and goes back to their visiting. Suddenly I hear my husband laughing hysterically. I look up and he and all the men are laughing at me and I hear him say, "Nothing like the trashy neighbors who clean out the party of it's leftovers." I laugh along with them because hey, it is really funny. Regardless, I fill my bag and move on, noticing that no one else takes any. I don't care because I feel like I scored.

So then as the party winds down I head home to put kids to bed. After they are all settled I look across the street and see about 8 or 9 people still there and I think. "I should go over and help clean up". I head over and they are actually not cleaning yet, they are all sitting in the garage visiting. I feel like it would be rude to leave so abruptly so I sit to visit. I find out all about what my neighbor does and what her work entails and as we are sitting there she mentions that she just gets loads of stuff and if we ever want anything she would be happy to send it our way. At this point I open my big mouth. Remember that I mentioned the large stainless steel rack full of everything imaginable. Yes, well earlier in the night I had been eyeing it and thinking "That type of shelf would be perfect in my storage room." I was trying to figure out where I could get one so I just simply asked, "hey where could I get a rack like that? If you could hook me up, would be happy to pay for it" Well to my horror she says...."Oh just take that one, I have so many and we often give them away to our vendors so I would be happy for you to take it". Well, I must admit I am horrified and thrilled at the same time. Then she says, "it is on wheels so just go ahead and wheel it home, food and all."

So just picture me, I am already pegged as the one at the party bagging up any and all goods I can take, now all the neighbors see me wheeling THE ENTIRE SHELVING unit FULL of over 200-250 bags of chips, Cheetos, cookies and granola bars down the street and taking it all home. When I got home Chris was laughing so hard he could barely breath and then said....."Gale in 3 months when they have another party and we are not invited......don't be surprised."

I LOVE my shelving and my kids think we are the coolest and want to invite all their friends over to see our stash.....I regret nothing.

Here is little peek at my new shelving unit!!

25 comments:

Melissa said...

I love it! I would of been right there with ya....shelf and all.

Jennie said...

Hee Hee! I am laughing my head off at this image. Too funny! But score on the goodies and shelf! I want pictures now. :)

Jen said...

HILARIOUS!

Our Family said...

You should regret nothing. This is hilarious and I would do the exact same thing. You are my hero. I need to move to your neighborhood.

Bray said...

P.S. I am dying to take a picture of our Rack of goods but I lost my camera so I have no way to take it right now. I will have to post pictures of our stash later!

Ashley said...

That's awesome! You DID score!

The Eberhardts said...

please introduce me to those neighbors! i'd love the stash, too! i think it may get a bit tricky wheeling it down to my side of the neighborhood, but i would! (and i know you'd help me!)

Sarah Hull said...

I can't remember how I found your blog, but I have been following it for a few months now and today is the day that I just have to comment. You had me ROLLING! I am just dying laughing over here. I loved that story because it sums up my life. Things like that always happen to me and my husband just shakes his head and laughs!
I just LOVE your blog. Your family is gorgeous and you guys are fantastic examples.
P.S.Congrats on the new chip rack!

Christy said...

Oh my god I'm laughing hysterically right now. Love this story and can't wait to tell my husband about it tonight! You are SOOO funny Gale!

niki said...

good for you! she DID offer after all!

A Farmer's Wife said...

I would have done the exact same thing! It's so hard to have enough stuff that kids actually want...when all 5 boys are here I cannot keep chips in stock...a bag is gone as soon as it's opened! I would have loaded right up!!! Good job!!! You are awesome!

Anonymous said...

Gale, you are awesome!! I can't believe you got one of those shelves. I love those! I need to make friends with a Frito-Lay person.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh! That is so funny! What I don't understand, though, is why nobody else took stuff. I would have been all over that! I'm certainly not embarrassed to take freebies! karly

Jerilyn said...

When you say..."hey where could I get a rack like that?" ...maybe its just me, but I would be laughing for another reason. :)

leslie s said...

I love this story because it is just classic you...I just keep thinking of you wheeling that big rack of chips across the road and I bust up laughing all over again.

And, you just know all the other people were thinking - DANG, wish I had said something first!! :)

Alisha said...

That story is SO funny! I would have taken that snack rack if someone offered it to me too.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love it!

I have a friend who has plenty of money and comes from a very jet-setty family and she would be ALL OVER the free stuff. In fact - I'm sending this to her because I could almost imagine her writing the same thing!

Gwen said...

OMG Roaring with laughter! I love it! I followed your comment from Christy's post since you said you've run two marathons and don't look it! I ran a marathon this past year and don't think I look the part either so I had to compare ;) Your fam is GORGEOUS! Glad to have found you!

amy said...

I would have been all over that rack with goodies! You're like a 7-11.

Ashley said...

I just checked back and saw the rack. That rocks!!
Just for fun: the guy who invented Sun Chips is in my ward!
Russell and I sit in church meetings and whisper as we point. "He invented Sun Chips."

okbushmans said...

There is nothing wrong with freebies! We are HUGE freebie fans. I was laughing so hard I was crying when I read this story and pictured you wheeling your stash home. Too funny!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT! hilarious, but I would totally do the same thing. I have always been one to get a good deal, it's like the thrill of the hunt for me. But this freebie is amazing! Too bad Chris didn't have the video recorder going while you were wheeling the entire thing stocked full across the street!!! HA!

Momofgirls said...

I am so with you!! Love it!!! I would have been right next to you doing the same thing!!

Shelly Callender said...

Gale, this is so cool. Love it!

Tori Orgill said...

That is too funny! And there is no shame...you're just mormon that's all! ;) We love us a good deal!