Chloe and I in 1996 right around the time of the hostage incident!
Life with my husband has never been boring. From the day that I met him I can honestly say life has been one adventure after another. We have stories to tell. Hence comes the story of when my daughter and I were taken hostage and he came to our rescue.
I learned very quickly that Chris was voraciously protective of me to a fault. He took it very seriously that he was the man of the house and responsible for our happiness, well being and safety. This was a blessing for me as he made sure life was an absolute joy, but there have been some glitches along the way.
I learned very quickly that Chris was voraciously protective of me to a fault. He took it very seriously that he was the man of the house and responsible for our happiness, well being and safety. This was a blessing for me as he made sure life was an absolute joy, but there have been some glitches along the way.
We were living in Waco Texas, had a beautiful brand new home, and a sweet little daughter who was the light of our lives. One evening Chris had to run to Kinkos. It was about 10:30pm and Chloe had been safely tucked into bed with stories, prayers and kisses several hours before. She was sound asleep and I was in bed reading. He had been gone only about 30 min when I heard something...............
I immediately ran to Chloe's room and was horrified to find her throwing up everywhere. It was the WORST...and I have seen many. It was projectile and the crib, the carpet, basically the whole room was covered. I grabbed her and took her to the bathroom, let her finish that round of vomiting and put her in the tub. I kept thinking "I wish Chris were here to help" I was flustered, as new Mom's sometimes are. Heck, now I am a pro at all things vomit, poo and stink but back then I was just starting to grasp how much of this stinky stuff I was going to have to deal with over the next many years and I wasn't liking it.
I bathed her and began to clean, praying the whole time that he would quickly return. Suddenly I heard the garage door open...."Thank heaven, he is here and can help" I kept cleaning but 5 min passed, then 10 and he never came in. This was bugging me as I wanted help, so I picked up Chloe and went to the back door to see what was going on. I opened the door and saw...............
Him sitting in his car going through papers. He was so engrossed I couldn't get his attention so I flicked the light switch on and off three or four times to get him to look at me. At that exact second Chloe started projectile vomiting again, I jerked back trying to avoid getting covered..........Chris looked up at that moment and our eyes met and I tried to give him the most urgent look I could....A look that said, "Get in here now and help me". I shut the door and ran for the bathroom as she barfed all the way down the hall and all over me. "He had better get in here NOW and help me!" I thought.
Anger does not begin to explain how mad I was when I heard the garage door open again and it sounded like he was leaving. He never came in. As soon as I could I went back to the door and looked out to see the garage empty....."HE LEFT ME". I went back to my work fuming that I was doing it all alone. The whole house smelled like puke and the amount of work it was going to take to get it all cleaned up was massive. She continued to throw up 2 or 3 more times. In think in total she thew up more than I could believe that little 1 year old body of hers could hold. When suddenly I heard a very loud noise.............................
At the door. It was a loud banging, so loud I was shocked, it scared me to death. I would call it more like someone was pounding with all their might at the door. It sounded desperate. I ran to the door, I was shaking, "who would be banging so loud at my door at midnight?" I opened it very carefully, just barely peeking out and almost died when I saw.........................
A police officer standing there with gun drawn, Chris standing behind him. My head started spinning. "Mam, we have the house surrounded" he said. I was in a state of absolute confusion. "What!!" I asked in horror. "Mam we are aware that there is a hostage situation here and we have the house surrounded." "A HOSTAGE SITUATION, WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?", I say. Then Chris peeks out from behind him looking very serious and mouths to me. "if someone has a gun to you and you can't talk give me a sign." What the HECK???? I was aghast.
I suddenly realize that this is no joke, I peek out a little further and see 5 police cars with lights on in front of my house as well as all the neighbors in their pajamas looking horrified about the situation. They all really think I am being held hostage!!
I calmly try to convince the officer that I am fine.....he doesn't believe me and thinks that I am being coerced by some man hiding in my house who has threatened me. He demands to search the house. "Sure, Come on in to my stinky barfed up house!"
They spend a good 15-20 min doing a thorough search of the house while I try to find out from Chris what the heck is going on!
Chris's perspective
So This is how Chris sees the story. He leaves Chloe and I, healthy, happy and tucked into bed. He returns, pulls into the garage but stays there because he had to go through some of the papers he had just picked up. Suddenly the lights begin flashing, He looks up and sees me jerk violently then look at him with the most earnest pleading look he has ever seen then the door slams shut. He says at that moment his brain tried to process what could have possibly caused me to signal him with a frantic flashing of the lights. The most distressing thing was the haunting look of desperation I gave him before the door slammed shut. He knew I was in trouble.
He immediately called 911 and told them that his wife was being held against her will by an intruder. How he took that huge mental leap and came to a clear conclusion that I was being held? I will never know. He then told them that he was going back into the house to help me, but they said "absolutely not, you will put your wife and child in danger, get away from the house, stay on the phone with us, we have a team on their way. "
Hence the whole, guns drawn, house surrounded, hostage situation!!
We laugh at this story often and to this day he defends his actions. I just laugh until I cry every time I think about it. I was horrified at the time though!
The ever protective Dad!


33 comments:
Oh my! I am crying from laughing so hard!!! Of course, I only started when I read Chris' perspective. That is a GREAT story!!
oh my goodnes, that is sooo funny! great story to archive. I have a funny story I just did last week I think, called ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO COMMIT ME?
something somewhat similar.. but that would have scared me to death! LOL
Oh my goodness! My husband would have seen the urgency in my eyes and called the 911 to protect HIM! That's hilarious.
I think the best part is that the police had to search your whole house with the throw-up everywhere! They must have really wondered what was going on.
I love this story!!! What a wonderful memory!
Gail that was one of the funniest things I have ever read in my life. I literally have tears streaming down my face right now and my husband is sitting next to me mocking me. But I can't stop laughing! And wowzers was Chloe a gorgeous baby!!! She should have been a Baby Gap model herself!
Thank you for sharing that story - I will never forget it!!!
I was getting so tired....and this post really woke me up because I can't stop laughing. That is a hysterical and fun story!!
Hi there - I just wanted to say this. Well first of all you don't know me but I am an LDS member from Alberta and I've stumbled upon your blog. You have the most gorgeous family in the world and from what I have read you are such an amazing and spiritual woman. Thank you for sharing your blog you truly have lightened up my life. I hope my comments dont freak you out but I just wanted to let you know!
Okay, that has tears rolling down my eyes. That is the sweetest, funniest story ever. That is the story to tell at her wedding....that is great. Thank you for sharing!
Doyles family, I always welcome with open arms a fellow Albertan (my favorite place on earth). Thank so much for your sweet comment.
That is so funny. That story is so good it can be told over and over!
I have heard this story many times and each time I think...I can handle it now...but no...i'm laughing just as hard as the first time you told me. Chris you are AWESOME!! Chloe...you are beautiful even as a baby!! Fun read Gale!
Wow, that is sooo funny! He wasn't quite used to the "I desperately need help with the baby" look yet. He must have been so sure though to call 911. Bless his little heart :)
Oh my goodness! I am dying laughing right now...as a mom with young kids, I can imagine how frustrated and annoyed you were to be dealing with the puking baby while he's sitting in the car...and then for it to turn into a hostage situation....holy cow. Hillairious! At least you know he was worried about ya even if he wasn't cleaning up the puke! Haha!!
Oh my gosh!!! That is such a great story! I think I would die laughing as the police officers left the house if that happened to me. Was it funny to you that night? Or did it make you more frustrated that night. Chris is so funny. I love you guys!
I did laugh and laugh after the police left....it was Chris who didn't think it was funny. It took him a couple of days. He kept telling me how horrific it was to really believe your wife and daughter were in a horrible life threatening situation. The stress level for him was beyond belief!! But lets be honest.....Am I the only one who thinks he took way too big a leap thinking the flashing light and urgent look meant I was being held at gunpoint???....just sayn.
classic. i love this story. you could start a blog with just the funny/embarrassing stories you guys have and i don't think you'd ever run out of stuff to blog about. didn't he go over to a neighbors house as well and get them up? oh so funny.
Yes, he went over and pounded on the neighbors door while he waited for the police to arrive. You can picture it all Brooklyn because you lived with us in that house. yes we have endless embarrassing/funny stories, gee, what does that say about us????
ok, i know i have already commented, but i am over at my mom's house now and i had to read it out loud to brittany and chase and my mom and bruce (oh and i have already read it out loud to ned before we headed over here). we were all sitting around the dinner table laughing so hard. oh chris, what were you thinking?
- my mom also reminded me of when chloe was first born and still in the hospital and she got the hiccups and chris frantically ran to get the nurse thinking something was wrong with her. the nurse had to reassure him that it was just the hiccups and that she would be just fine. i think it is great that he is so protective. you girls are lucky to have a dad that is looking out for you. better safe than sorry.
I wish it was that he just ran frantically to the nurse...He ran down the hall of the hospital screaming "My baby is having a seizure" I was in the bathroom and heard all the commotion and when I finally got to the room the nurse was lecturing him on the difference between a seizure and hiccups......I still laugh about that one.
hi gale - this is niki, i saw you left a comment on talia's blog, so i quickly clicked to find yours. SO FUN!! i love seeing my cousins cute families!! that story is crazy!! i would have died if my husband (also a chris)brought the police to our door! seriously, too funny!!
You know, this is one of the absolute best stories I've read! And I'm a journalist/photographer, so I hear a lot of stories. Thanks for sharing it. This is what makes blogs so great!
That is hilarious Gale! I have heard the hiccups story- but never this one of you being held hostage. :) This is one for the records for sure.
HILARIOUS!
hey gale - me again! everyone else is in Canada, but we're in texas.
That is so funny! I could see my husband doing something like that. I always call him a "drama queen." I don't think he likes the label - but he can't argue with that fact that he can be a little dramatic.
Hi Gale!!! Talia told me that you have a blog. I laughed so hard at this story. I can just picture you telling it. Man, I miss the laughs we used to have. I remember sitting down on the sidewalk so I wouldn't pee my pants laughing with you! Your family is adorable. It's been fun to read about you and them. I don't have a blog, which is stressing me, 'cause it seems like everyone else does now! I don't love using the computer - which my husband will agree with. Everytime I get on it, I call him to help me with something! I just enjoy reading everyone elses ... maybe some day! Love, karly
Oh Karly, you and I have had some of the best laughs ever. I miss you!!!! If you aren't going to get a blog then you, at very least, need to get on Facebook....please!!
ha ha!! gale - karly is NOT technologically inclined - you'd better just get her email!! :)
we're just north of houston in the woodlands.
You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! Why haven't we ever heard this story??? You are both hilarious -Luke and I are laughing out loud! It is just too much! A concerned look = hostage situation!? Did he ever really live this one down?
And reading the comments about the hiccup story is just too much. You are both hilarious! I wish we were neighbors!
Oh my gosh....laughing laughing laughing.....hard....that is so funny..i am sure it was not at the time...but it sure is now..thank you for sharing this story!! :)
Amy, I am not sure why you haven't heard this story either except that for a long time Chris had banned me from telling it out of sheer embarrassment. It will go down in the history books as one of the greats in our family.
I wish we were neighbors too!! Wouldn't that be so fun!!
Post a Comment