I tend to have a Superhero complex when it comes to tornados. I have experienced so many and survived that I tend to believe that I will continue to survive anything. So yesterday I was heading to pick my daughters up from school. I pick up Olivia first, the sky is looking dark and ominous and I think it is going to rain. About this time Chloe texts me and tells me her school is on lock-down because a tornado is headed right toward them, so what do I do? I head straight over to her school. The whole time Olivia is telling me, "Mom, she is safe at the school. This is dumb, lets go home and get in the shelter."
The radio is giving me a play by play telling me exactly where the tornado is and how fast it is moving. I do the calculations in my head and figure I can beat it, so I head to her school as fast as I can. About a 1/4 mile from her school we start getting pelted with hail, that is always a bad sign, when the hail hits you know it is close. We sped into the parking lot, and ran as fast as we could into the school. At this point the principal is yelling for everyone to get to the shelter FAST! Let me just say here that being in a shelter with 70-80 8th graders with no power is almost as horrific as the tornado itself. It was HOT, stinky, miserable. The tornado passed within 50 yards of the school and went on to hit 2 neighborhoods about 1 mile North.
As soon as I heard that the tornado had passed the school (about 1o min later) I grabbed my girls, got in the car and headed to my 2 younger daughters school. At this point we were just behind the tornado. Incidentally all those kids at Chloe's school were stuck in lock-down for almost 2 more hours. I was the crazy Mom who went back out in it. We got to the little girls school just in time to run and get in their shelter. I sent Chloe and Olivia to find Elle and I found Ava. Once again, hot room, 80 pre-K and Kindergartner's, Oh please let me be sucked up by the tornado.
We stayed there for about 15 min, just until I knew that it had passed and then I grabbed all 4 girls, ran for the car and headed home to get in our shelter. I found out today that many of those kids were also at the school for 2 more hours. I was so glad we braved it and went home.
We had a great time. I had made cinnamon rolls that morning so we grabbed them on the way down, grabbed blankets and pillows and we sat in our shelter eating good food and being rather cozy!!
Needless to say I had little girls in my bed last night and I loved it. We cuddled up and kept each other safe! I love the weather here. I love the excitement of the storms and tornado's.
I say that now but one day my house will be sucked away and it won't be so exciting any more.



16 comments:
Thanks for the update. I've been thinking of you this morning. Glad that you're all OK.
I am so glad you are all ok. Looking forward to hearing the full story. We are thinking of you!!!
I was doing the same thing! Except, my high schooler stayed at school until 5:30 because he had his car there. I was racing the tornado to our house, I beat it, but I prayed the entire way home I would make it. I need some of your spunk, because even though I have lived here almost my entire life, I never get used to the fear of the tornadoes. I think it is the May 3rd ones that keep flashing in my mind.
Oh my goodness! I thought of you and your family yesterday when I saw what was happening in your state. I can't believe they actually hit your town! I'm so happy you're all okay and you made the best of it! Thanks for sharing!
OK, now that I've heard the whole story...
First of all, you're INSANE!!
Second- I totally get it. The "May 3" tornados came to Springfield, Missouri (where we were living at the time). We were standing on the porch filming the debree as it flowed overhead. It wasn't until after it was all over that we learned just how close it had been. Crazy!
There are many stories. I have lived through a bunch, like you, but I think I'm more scared of them than you seem to be. I told my husband if we ever move there I'm having one of those metal "fraidy holes" installed in our garage!!
By the way, I think we may be coming up there for a few days the first week of March. We want to go to the Science Center and the Zoo. Fun times!
I can't believe you drove in that! We are close to Chloe's school, so we were in our hall bathroom riding it out. Very scary and I don't like it at all!
Glad to hear that you are all safe. :)
I can't believe you drove through that! Karen was telling me her story of doing the same thing. I have to admit, I kind of liked the rush of going through a storm like that when I lived there. However, I never had my house knocked down either, so I'm sure my view would change, if we'd had damage. We did come within a 1/2 a mile of a tornado at one point, but most the time it was just wind damage we sustained. I'm glad you're all okay!
that was a scary, scary time. i was out on the road, too. yikes! is tornado season over, yet?
that was a scary, scary time. i was out on the road, too. yikes! is tornado season over, yet?
Alright, you're officially crazy! I've had to take shelter a few times myself and I don't like it one bit! Leave it to you to find it exciting! Next time I sky dive, I'll give you a call :)
Wow! The mere thought of a tornadoe freaks me out!
I was wondering about you, but I talk to Julie on a message board, and I knew it was okay in your area, meaning, you guys weren't hurt, but I grew up in Arky and spent many times in the shelters, it is sooo scary! glad you guys are okay
I came across your blog somehow and I just want to say what an adorable family you have! I know I am a complete stranger and hopefully this doesn't bother you.. I love to read about all of your adventures and the love you have for your cute family. Thanks for being so positive raising such strong girls!
I hope you don't mind if I keep reading.
Thanks,
Megan (from Salt Lake)
Megan,
Of course I don't mind, I feel honored that someone who doesn't know me finds something worthy of their time here. You are very welcome to drop by anytime. We are taking a trip to SLC this summer, we love it there.
From the weather you had recently,I think you must live in the same area we did when we were in school. Is Don Hansen your stake president by any chance? He's my father-in-law.
Post a Comment