There are exactly 27 days in the year that Chris is three years younger than me and it is a miserable 27 days for me because he loves to make sure everyone knows it!! Well, he is now only 2 years younger than me and I am going to tell you why the day he was born was the best day of my life. (He always says that I am sooooo lucky because he saved me from becoming an old maid....how sweet of him, I had no hope of marriage with out him.....ha ha) This is going to be very long and extremely indulgent.....just a warning.

1. The first thing I noticed about him when I first met him and the thing I love to this day is that he is REAL. He doesn't put on airs or pretence. What you see is what you get, flaws and all and he doesn't' have pride or feel a need to one up anyone. He always trys very hard to build up and complement those around him and never feels a need to make sure they think he is anything special. I love this sooooo much. It is one of the things that makes me crazy in love with him.....the way he doesn't need worldly accolades, position or prestige is just amazing to me.
2. He is full of light. I knew this early on and after 15 years of marriage it is more than ever. His smile and joy in life brightens any room or group we are with. There is always joy and happiness when he is around. Laughter comes so easy and it is straight from the belly with him. I have had 15 years of laughing, laughing and more laughing. He finds joy in everything and creates it for those he loves. I am so lucky to be the recipient of it all. Just tonight I had taken the 2 older girls to piano lessons and when we walked in the door all I could hear is laughter.....we went into the bedroom and there on the bed was Chris, Elle and Ava tickling and all laughing their heads off.....I love that sound and I feel blessed that I hear it often.
3. He is deep, thoughtful, self reflective and very smart. Because he is quick to laughter I think he is often underestimated. Often people will say to me....Oh your husband is that surfer dude guy??? His blond hair and easy manner make him seem to others to be a laid back, surfer type. I smile and think in my mind...yes he is that really good looking guy with a bachelors, masters and doctorate degree. He spends endless hours voraciously reading anything that will make him a better man. I have watched him devour a 700 page book on Gandhi and study all the works of C.S. Lewis in no time. I have never seen him without a book that he is currently reading and he has hundreds of notebooks (now computer files) full of notes that he takes along the way.....he is a student of life.4. He is deeply spiritual. This is a man who has made a study of the gospel his life mission. He has worked out for at least an hour everyday for the past 10 years and he is always on the weight machines or treadmill with scripture memorization cards, his scriptures, or downloaded church talks. I mean it.....10 years, I have never seen him at the gym without a gospel centered study item in hand. He gets razzed a little about this by some friends (you know who you are)....I will say no more. He is constantly pursuing a knowledge of how to be a better man, husband and father. It is so evident to me as I have watched his personal growth over the years and feel a deep admiration for who he has become. He is painfully aware of his flaws and is on a mission to be better. I love him so much for this.
5. He is driven. Chris will never give up on a goal. If he has set his mind to something he will give every last breath to accomplish it. He is always prayerful and willing to change the goal if there comes a time when it isn't right for him or our family but he will work harder than anyone else if there is something to be done. I have watched him work 2 jobs, start and run a business, get a doctorate degree at night, study mandarin Chinese, run marathons and still make sure he is spending lots of quality time with his kids, all at the same time. He runs circles around me on a daily basis. I watch him with absolute awe and amazement all the time.
6. He is the dearest, kindest and best husband. When I think of all that he is, does, and accomplishes I feel so inadequate.....I am no where as good or great as him. I feel as though I am the weak link but he makes me feel as though I am jewel to be treasured. He never says an unkind or critical word to me. Over the years he has grown into such a dear man that words cannot describe how I feel about his goodness to me. He builds me up and encourages any desire, venture or idea that I have. He is patient with my faults and never points them out in any way. The other day as we were laying in bed he said "Gale, you have no faults, I just can't think of any" I rolled over and in the darkness tears rolled down my cheeks because I am so grateful for a man who is either very blind or very very good. He chooses to see only positive in me though I am such a piece of work. 

7. He is an amazing father. When we first graduated from collage and he began looking for employment the only stipulation on the type of work he would do was...."I have to have a job that will allow me time with my children....I never want to miss a school play or soccer game" He has made good on that and his career path has always allowed him to be a "Father First". His girls are his life. All he thinks of, dreams of, and works toward is making a great life for them and our family. He kneels in prayer every night and seeks for guidance as to how to be a better father to them. I am so grateful for the fact that his heart is rooted in the gospel and because of that his priorities are a no brainer for him. We are his life.
8. He is extremely sexy. Yes I said it. I after 15 years of marriage still get knots in my stomach when I see him walk in a room. I really thought that all this infatuation was supposed to have worn off after 15 years but I can't help it. He is one good looking sexy man. What more can I say.

There is so much more I could say but I am very aware that I am getting cheesy.....this is one of my faults!!! Sweetie, Happy Birthday. We all love you so much and are so happy that you were born.......that day has made our lives so sweet.


5 comments:
I think I threw up a little in my mouth! :) And I have to say Gale, I doubt you ever needed to be saved from being an old maid!
Gale, I'm glad that I have gotten to know you. I haven't met Chris, but between the two of you, your are an amazing and dynamic couple!
p.s. what kind of crazy cake is that!
What a great tribute to a great guy. I am impressed with your consistency with excercise and gospel study. I am motivated to do the same. Happy belated Birthday Chris.
I love you guys! What you have is so special - LUCKYYY!!! LOL - no joke, you are BOTH incredable people!
Post a Comment