Sunday, December 9, 2007

Icy Blessings from Heaven

I haven't posted in several weeks because my schedule has gone into warp speed and extra time has not been a luxury I have had. I am in charge of the Holiday Store for my girls elementary school and it has been HUGE. It is 3 weeks of lots of hard work and I have 1 week left before it is all over and I can breathe again. On Saturday evening Chris and I were talking and I said "I just desperately want a little free time to do some fun things with the girls and not feel so pressured. I want to make our yearly traditional gingerbread houses and go shopping and do some fun holiday stuff together." I have been envious as I have grabbed a quick glance at my other friends blogs and they are baking and enjoying holiday preparations. Well my prayers were answered. This morning we were awakened early with a phone call letting us know that the overnight ice storm had caused church to be cancelled. I have many large responsibilities at church so this completely opened up the day for family time. We had a huge crepe breakfast that was soooooo good. We then spent the next 2 hours making gingerbread houses and then later in the afternoon we went over to some friend's house and had a scrumptious dinner together with a full talent show at then end. We had a violin solo, saxaphone solo, singing, original songs performed and so much more. The kids had a great time together making up skits, dance routines, and plays. It finally felt like the Christmas season. As we go to bed we are getting word that there will be more ice and rain and school will be cancelled tomorrow.....I will go to bed dreaming of the fun things I will do with my family on this 2nd free day......I am so happy. Here are a few pics starting with Olivia and Ava with red noses and cheeks after going out first thing in the morning to play on the ice.


6 comments:

Julie said...

ooh! How fun! We did gingerbread houses yesterday too. :)

It is nice to be "stuck" at home with things closed up for a few days- isn't it? :)

okbushmans said...

I am SO grateful Church was cancelled! I have not had more than 2 hours at a time with Ryan (excluding sleep!) and I missed him! I love the unexpected blessings found in ICE! Hooray!

Melissa said...

I am so glad you got a forced break due to the ice storm. I was sitting in a waiting room today and heard over the television about the ice storms in OK and MS and that 300,000 people are without power. I hope that does not include the Brays. Stay warm and safe.
We watched HOW IN THE WORLD again on our way to school in the car, right before I mailed it back to you. It is such a darling show. Promise that you won't forget the little people when you make it big, and I'm not talking about midgets or dwarfs (now that we have that straight).

Shawna said...

Gale - what a wonderful day Sunday was home with the family! It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed it and I am so glad!

Robyn said...

Looks like you had a great day!! I'm so glad you were able to take time off and be with your family. The ice really takes the pressure off of everything else.

leslie s said...

So Fun...That will be a day the family will not soon forget! It reminds me of when we were little. Miss you all.