Another full and wonderful day. I have just loved being with Olivia and seeing her in her element. I see her at home, at church but I am not with her at school all day so I don't get to see her interactions with her school friends. It has been such a treat to see this side of her. I have seen what a leader she is. All the girls want to be with her and look to her for direction and fun. She is the tiniest thing but loved and respected by all. Everyone wants to sit with her, be with her and if there is any fun to be found she will be in the center of it. She is a little spitfire.
Today we had the best time. We started out by going to Yorktown. I loved this site! To be where the final battle of the revolutionary war was fought was hallowed ground to me. I warned Olivia early on (as I did when I took this same trip with Chloe) I will cry often.....just know it will happen and don't be surprised. I feel a spirit about the founding of this country akin to many of the religious feelings that I have. They are closely related and I believe the men involved in this work were great men guided by God. Below are some pictures of the Yorktown colonial settlement as well as the colonial army encampment.
Olivia with some of her friends
These early settlers knew how to farm and work the land. I took this picture of a typical colonial garden......I hope that mine will look this good next year.
Olivia and I together in front of Yorktown village.
Below is the amazing view of the Potomac from the back porch of Washington's home. The view is breathtaking.
We then headed into DC and visited the White House. This picture below shows the sniper on top of the west side of the house holding a gun and watching us. The kids all loved it. He kinda looks like a statue.


3 comments:
Gale-
You've got some great pictures and experiences. I miss Virginia sooo much! I absolutely loved it there. I feel the same about US history as well. I cry everytime I go to Arlington Cemetary, and some of the other sites as well. Have a great trip!
Jennie
what a fantastic trip. I'm sure you and olivia will remember this forever.
I am so jealous of this trip. What an amazing experience to have with Chloe and now Olivia.
I hate Walmart even more now that I read your post. Frustrating!
Post a Comment