I am now the mother of a teenager. Chloe turned 13 on March 17th. So here I go with "A Birthday letter from a Mother to her Daughter".
She was a daddy's girl at this age!
Chloe you are now 13. I entitled this post "An Old Soul". You know I have always said that I think in spirit years you are older and wiser than me. That being said, in earth years I am much older and much wiser about life here on earth so I am going to impart to you a few of the most important things about beginning your teen years.
Oh sooo cute!!
First, I cannot stress this enough, do not place major importance in material things. Chloe I want you to think through this carefully, material things never last and are NEVER the source of joy. Material things can be fun, bring brief happiness and they are often good but they are not important. Whether you have the right purse, outfit or car has nothing to do with your success in life. I always think in terms of this; what can I take with me that will be important no matter where I go? If I am in Africa working in an orphanage will my coach handbag or my expensively decorated house mean anything, NO. Spend most of your time and energy on things that can be taken with you to bless the lives of others. These things will be; your talents, your kindness, your faith in Christ, your mind, your strength of character, your integrity, your education. All these things are inside of you and are not based on anything but your hard work and personal journey. You will always be happy if your quest is for these good things. Fill your life with experiences, not "Things".
These two girls love each otherLaugh, all the time! I haven't been the best example of this lately, I often get feeling stressed as I am maneuvering through the day but your teen years (your whole life for that matter)should be full of laughter. You are good at this and I love it when you and Olivia are laughing so hard you are both crying.
Chloe fishing in the pond behind our house...she has dehooked and done it all by herself since she was 5.

Be ok with yourself when you make mistakes. We all make them and they don't define us, they just help us grow. My greatest progression in life has come after a mistake and self reflection. Don't get down on yourself. The whole plan of salvation was for you to repent, grow and get closer to your vision of yourself.
Have a vision for yourself. I want you to form in your mind a vision of the person you will be in 10, 20, 30 years. What will be the focus of your life? What will you be known for? What is it you want to accomplish? How will you bless the lives of others? You need a road map.......The gospel is the foundation and is the center of this vision but the clearer the vision you have for yourself the closer you will get to becoming that woman. You have read my personal vision board, use that as guide and choose for yourself who you will be and give your all to becoming someone who will accomplish the Lords work. All the talents, abilities and blessings that you have been given are for but one purpose....you know what that is. Solidify that vision.In any situation look for the lonely person in the room and go to them. I have never been more proud of you than when we were at cotillion and I saw a girl who was all alone. I headed over to you and said "Hey Chlo, do you" You cut me off before I could even make my point and said "I'm on it Mom, I already saw her" and you headed straight over to her. I mean it when I say, soooo proud. I have heard you write and perform music, I have seen you take first place in major tennis tournaments, and I have seen you tackle your fear head on and dive off a 5 and 10 meter platform. but that moment when I knew you had seen another's need was the most proud that I have been of you. Please keep this philosophy all your life. I am not the best example of this but I am working on it and I want you to "get it" early in life. People are the most important thing. How you treat them, uplift, and love them will define your life, not worldly acclaim. Again, I don't speak about this because I excel at it, I just know it is vital for growth, success and joy.

I am going to stop here, this is no where close to all I want to say but these are some of the things I am feeling right now. I know you say that I am always imparting "fortune cookie" advice and that drives you nuts. You have a Mom that thinks too deep sometimes but I know that I am your mother for a reason. Chloe I love you with all my heart. You are good, wise , spunky and never back down from a good fight and your fight is usually good. I feel honored to have been given the stewardship of raising you and I know we will be dear friends always but right now I am your mother and my whole purpose is to help you reach your potential.........and I'm on it!!



9 comments:
Gale you are so ON IT! This is one of the sweetest posts you have writen and it is the YOU I know - so wise and loving.
Chloe, Like your mom you are wise and beautiful inside and out. Remember your moms advise, when ever I have made mistakes in life it was from forgetting one of those important life laws. I always regret it later.
You have so many loved ones cheering you on in the race life - We LOVE you so much! Happy 13th!! AND...See YOU and the finish line! :)
AT the finish line...(I'm such a spazz.)
i love you sooo much aunt leslie!!!!
mom, this is definitly a fortune cookie post but i love it strangely enough.......i am i the mood for asian food .....:) anyways, i love you soooo much! i always have personal goals that i set for myself and most of the goals have been what you listed! Even though i know that these goals are practically impossible to completely achieve and be perfect on that subject, we can always work hard to improve and get as close as we can to achieving them
i love you and dad soooo much
luv chloe
P.S. thank you for fffiinnnaallyy getting me a cell phone ! LVE yu!
I hope you print this off somehow and put it in a keepsake book! I hope Chloe knows how lucky she is to have a mom who is as verbally expressive as you are! How invaluable in your teen years to have a mom tell you how amazing you are!
That was so fun to see little baby Chloe and her growing up pictures. Ava looks a lot like Chloe did (do you think that too?) What a great letter and so well said. We hope to get to know Chloe and the rest of your family better with time. Hope you had a fabulous 13th birthday.
Gale- that was a beautiful post. I know you say you aren't, but you are a very eloquent writer. You said everything I have tried to say to Morgan in a letter, but was not nearly as concise as you. She is a very lucky girl.
Jennie
What a beuatiful letter Gale!
It seems so wrong to me that Chloe is already 13! I believe we were at your house at the time the 3rd picture was taken of Chloe and Olivia in those beautiful dresses on your staircase. Luke and I still picture them just like this!!
We will always remember going out for smoothies, going to church, and hanging out drinking roobeer and eating Schwan's cheese bread in your kitchen after your TWO girls went to bed! We laughed for a long time about the fun bedtime stories you told them about the girl with the really, really, really wild, curly red hair!!!
Seeing that picture really brought me back. We would love to see you guys again. Tell Chloe Happy Birthday from us!
Love, Amy and Luke
Amy,
Sugar Love is alive and well and has.......red hair that is (imagine my arms spread out really wide) this big. Our girls adore Sugar Love, Peter Pickle toes, and Marvin Melon Head and all their adventures. There is even a following at the school. Whenever Chris is the reader at school he tells Sugar Love stories. One day they will be published.
Gale,
That brought me to tears. I love your writing style, I love to learn from you. I have always looked up to you from the day I met you. You are raising a wonderful daughter who is a great example to the world. Please tell her happy be-lated birthday! Thanks for being my friend. I always love to read your posts. You are great!! I miss you!
Post a Comment