OK, to some this may be a really off the wall post but I'm thinking it so I'm putting it out there. I LOVE smells. I love the smell of Lilacs, it takes me back to my childhood as I ran passed rows of lilac bushes while heading to primary on Wednesday after school. I love the smell of a roast dinner that has been cooking for hours when everyone is hungry after church. I love the smell of fresh cut grass in the summer with a hint of barbecue behind it as you know someone in the neighborhood is cooking out. I love the smell of my girls after they have been playing outside all day....I tell them they smell like dirty dogs but really to me it is the smell of laughter, nature and fun. I love the smell of Christmas trees and cinnamon, hazelnut and vanilla. I could go on and on. So much of my joy in life is associated with smells. Why am I writing about this? Because today Ava fell asleep on the couch. She was deep asleep and I went over and gently eased into a cuddle next to her. Our faces were only 3-4 inches apart and the smell of her sweet breath was intoxicating. She was breathing deep and I just laid there and breathed her in. I couldn't get enough. It was pure sweet childhood......the breath of heaven. It reminded me of when each of my girls were babies, I love to breathe them in. The smell of a baby is not to be equaled in my mind because it is pure and epitomizes love in its truest form. They only have this sweet smell for a few short youthful years then as they grow they become independent and I no longer get to breathe them in. I am so glad I had 15 minutes of breathing her in today! I feel so lucky.
Monday, March 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
i love you. you are the bestest mom i ever had! you are sooooo pretty i love you!
elle atleast i can type my name hehehehehe
That is sweet Gale!
I am so glad you wrote that, because I took the time to smell my kids! I can get so sick of "hearing" all the noises my kids make, that it was a nice break to focus on the smell! I inhaled Cannon sans dirty diaper and post-bath, and he smelled edible! The sweet smell of baby is heavenly! And Brenna stinks of mischief! Just kidding! She smells like chocolate and dirt and sweat and apples. Great post!
By the way, thanks for giving Elle apples yesterday...she loved them and couldn't stop talking about the fact that you have an apple cutter...."Mom, you HAVE to get one of those, it is SOOOOO COOL" she said. Now I must get one!
I hope I never forget the smell of my kids and it stays with me even when they are all grown and I don't get to snuggle with them anymore.
You are such a sweet person. I wish I were as sweet as you but I guess I have other strengths. I thought it was a very tender post and makes me want to stop and enjoy smells a little more.
Post a Comment