Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The written word

This morning as I was cleaning up the breakfast dishes I was listening to the radio news and they stated that the bookstore "Borders" was filing Chapter 11 and closing 40% of their stores.  They said that Borders and Barnes and Nobel are having trouble competing in a world of Kindles and IPads and are closing stores rapidly.   This news broke my heart.  I LOVE books.  It really is a love affair, and I am not just saying that I love to read, I am saying that I love books.  I love the feel, the look, the smell, the weight, oh just everything about a book I love.   I have always wanted a library in my house.  Chris and I decided years and years ago that we never wanted a TV in our living room because we wanted it to be a place of learning, not passive watching.  I dreamed of having a library with shelves and shelves and a ladder going up high because I wanted to have so many books with shelves that go so high that we would need a ladder to reach them.  I searched high and low for years to find the right shelves.  When we found these shelves 2 years ago they became my pride and joy.  I may not be much of a decorator but when you enter my house you will have no doubt in your mind as to what is important to me.   I love these shelves and the books in them.

These shelves are about 20 ft accross and 10 ft high.  Some shelves are still empty but I will love filling them. (They are a little messy in this picture, but that is because it is not a show peice...we are always using these books. )

1918 edition of Tom Sawyer on the 4th shelf up, I also collect early editions of books.


I love these books because I am a culmination of all of their concepts and philosophies.  They have moved me, changed me and opened my eyes  to an understanding of myself and others.   There will never be a time when you come in my house where you don't find at least 3 books by my bedside as well as Chris's.  We are always reading and then discussing everything we read.  The other day we talked about how it is difficult for us to comprehend how someone would not like to read?  I just can't wrap my head around it because my progression in life is so strongly tied to the books I read.  The funny thing is I don't read that much, I read in the morning as I begin the day for about 45 min, then I read at night at the end of the day for about 1 hour.  I guess you could say that books are the bookends of my day.
It makes me happy that my girls are lovers of books also.  We are always passing the latest great read around my house and sometimes we have to buy 2 copies.  If you look closely in the picture above you will see 3 copies of Hunger Games, ha ha!


So if books one day become an obsolete thing of the past like so many things in this digital age, I will be so sad.  I do have an IPad, and I do read books on my IPad and find it very convenient (especially when I travel) but I still prefer the book in my hands.  Books are a very personal thing but I will leave you will a list (in no particular order) of a few of my favorites.....if you have recommendations of great books you have read please leave me a comment, I would love to know the great reads that have affected you.

The Book of Mormon
The Bible
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
John Adams By David McCullough
1776 by David McCullough
Bonds that Make us Free by Terry Warner
The Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
To Him that Believeth by Fredrick Babel
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin
Living Loving and Learning by Leo Buscaglia
The Giver by Lois Lowry

Oh I will stop because I could go on forever, this is just a tiny list of many many that I adore.   I hope the few of you who read this will post a few of your favorites so I can finish filling my shelves.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

To kill a mocking bird is also one of my personal favorites. I actually chose my sons name from that book. I named him Atticus. I love reading too! I find it fun and therapeutic. That is sad to hear about borders and barnes and noble.

JJ Olsen said...

Great post Gale. I feel the same way about books. I usually read for about 3 hours every day. I always have at least 5 or 6 books on the go. I have to admit though, having a Kindle is very convenient. I usually read 'physical' books at home, and I use the Kindle (or my phone) to read when I'm on the train or bus etc. I like your shelves!

leslie s said...

I'm having book shelf envy...BEAUTIFUL!!! I love your list of books and I'm glad you posted it because so many times when we talk you tell about these great books I should read and without fail when I get in a book store I can't remember the names of them. Atlas is my next reading project - so excited!

Rob McDonald Family said...

Love it, Gale! Love the ladder too, that is so fun. I am still reading John Adams, which you suggested to me 2 years ago! I read it in between some of my favorites..anything by Catherine Thomas I love, as well as Beverly Campbell. I've read "Life Lessons from the Book of Mormon" several times, I learn something new every time. Rob and I have to have our own copies because we kept fighting over it!

I just read Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card, and loved it, even though I'm not too much of a sci-fi fan. I'm not sure that's what it is, but it was very interesting.

I hope our Borders doesn't close. Rob and I go there on dates and spend 2 or 3 hours there. I remember you telling me you and Chris did that when you were planning the big mall!

A Farmer's Wife said...

I have been reading Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. Start @ part I, Chapter I. FABULOUS insight!!! The Federalist Papers by Hamilton, Madison and Jay are also wonderful but if you're anything like me, have a dictionary handy!

Christy said...

What a great list, and I love the photos of your house - and your new header!!!

My all time favorite book is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luis Zafon. I also loved Brick Lane by Monica Ali, and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Ashley said...

So beautiful! I, too, have a little love affair with books. I don't have enough shelving for all my books, so I have some packed up nicely, while they wait to be displayed.
I do love technology (thank you, "Napolean Dynomite", for ruining that phrase for me), but I really hope it doesn't just replace so many other things I love so much.
Take care, and LOVE LOVE your new header!

Morgan said...

I think you've just convinced me that someday, I need to have a library in my home. Yours is gorgeous. You've also reminded me of all of the reasons why I love books. I used to read all the time, but in recent years I haven't read nearly as much as I'd like to. The news about Barnes and Noble and Borders really is so sad. It's scary to think that bookstores may become a thing of the past.

As far as suggestions go, like I said, I haven't done a whole lot of reading as of late. I did recently order Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning." I've heard lots of wonderful things about it, so I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Emma (from England) said...

Is that a 'Happy 40th Birthday Chris Bray!' book I spy?

I have loved these shelves since I saw them in the back of your daughters' music videos, nice to get a proper look.

Have you girls read Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli? One of my favourites, with a message that stresses the importance of random acts of kindness, and there's no swearing (or cussing, as Americans like to call it!) or sex as far as I can remember.

Emma said...

Oops, I meant to say 'Have YOUR girls' not 'you girls'.

Bray said...

Thanks so much for all your book suggestions. I am going to look into everyone. Emma, my girls have read every Jerry Spinelli but not that one, how did we miss it. I will look it up today!!