Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We survived

The Arrival
We have absolutely loved having Mom here. There are just not words to describe how much we love her. We have laughed, eaten, watched school programs, gone to bookstores, read together, eaten some more and laughed even more. She is such a light and joy in our lives and we feel so blessed that she is here to visit. I can't believe how amazing she is, she has so much wit and humor, my girls just love to joke and banter with her and she throws it right back at them. I love how much they love her.
Oh she loves this little girl, she spends endless hours on the floor with her playing and talking to her. I love it!!
We had a harrowing experience on Monday. First I must say that, unaware of what was ahead, I joked with my Mom as she arrived that we hope no tornados come while she is here. Well, I shouldn't have spoken so quickly. Monday afternoon we headed out to take the girls to piano lessons at the university in OKC. We dropped the girls off and went across the street to get sandwich. It was a sunny calm day and as we were eating our sandwich I looked up at the TV and happened to notice the weather man warning that tornados were forming. He pulled up the map and it was only about a mile from us. We quickly gathered up and ran to the car, in the 30 seconds it took to gather ourselves up, the sky became black and rain in torrents began to fall. We were getting frantic text messages from my daughters and my husband (he was in Edmond). We drove to the university and lucky for us thy have a shelter. So we gathered and prayed. Ava was sooooo upset and was crying uncontrollably because she was afraid that her Dad was going to die. My Mom was so sweet in comforting her and helping her feel safe. We waited for a long time until Chris, who was near a TV told us the coast was clear. We had to drive through hail and rain but made it home safely. We later found out that 5 people had died and many more injured or lost their homes. We are so sad for those who are suffering from their losses and so grateful that we made it home safely.

Below is a picture of Mom, getting all her Mothers Day phone calls from her children....she was soooo happy to talk to everyone. It was wonderful day and such a treat to have my Mother here to celebrate with. She received many wonderful gifts one of which was a book from my sisters on heroic women, what they wrote in the front sums it up so I hope they don't mind if I write it here.
"To our mother who has her own heroic story and who became one of the finest women to ever mother a family. One of the great blessings of our lives has been falling under your motherly care!!
Mothers Day, Eve just looked so cute

7 comments:

Hege said...

hi Gayle......glad you are ok...seriously, you need to stop getting in your car and driving during tornados....didn't you do that last time as you headed off to the girl's school? scary!

bethany jane. said...

Oh my goodness... I'm glad you're all safe. Isn't Grandma the best? I love joking around with her too, and you're right, she really knows how to throw it back...

Anonymous said...

Good blogging my friend!

Rob McDonald Family said...

Gale..glad you guys are okay. I didn't hear about the tornados until the next day (I never listen to the news) and I was really worried about you. I'm relieved you are safe.

Love your little Eve..she is so sweet. :)

Rebecca

leslie s said...

The picture of mom and Eve is priceless. Eve was rightly named after mom - With mom's dark hair and they have the same eyes...Perfectly adorable! I know I say this lots but give that cutie hugs for me!!

Laurel said...

So sweet to see mom with your family. She is so happy to be with you and I know when she gets back here she will be missing you and wanting more of your family. The photos are amazing and capture the happiness! xoxo
Laurel
We need a visit in SLC from your family!

DRP said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/manfaat-propolis-untuk-bisnis-online/