Friday, May 7, 2010

Generations

My Sister and I with my Mother
We teach our children how to treat us when we grow old. How we honor our parents directly effects our children and they in turn will honor us as we move through the later stages of life. I pray with all my heart that my girls see how much I love my mother. Today we have been busy getting ready for her arrival tomorrow. Fresh linens, chocolates and books by her bedside, meals planned and a whole family ready to love and care for her.

My Mom has Alzheimers, there is no way to explain how hard it has been to watch her memory decline yet I can see that even when disease ravishes a body her spirit remains the same and despite her diagnosis she is fun, happy, sweet and positive at every turn.

She has at times forgotten names, events and constantly needs reminding but one constant that she has NEVER forgotten as the disease progressed was that Eve was soon to join our family. Every time I talked to her she asked when we were going to get her and wanted to know every detail. She would forget so much but never that. As we came home from China she expressed sadness that she was not here and was missing out so we arranged to fly her here to spend 2 weeks with us. I am so so so excited about her arrival and so excited for her to meet her new granddaughter and name sake, Eve Lorraine Bray. I can't wait to get pictures of her with Eve! It will be a wonderful Mothers Day. Here are a few pictures we took last time she visited.

7 comments:

Talia said...

oh, i love your mom! what beautiful girls with their grandma...have a wonderful visit!! xo

niki said...

i love aunt lorraine too!!! give her hugs from us too and have so much fun.

Unknown said...

How funny when I went to leave a comment, my sisters had beat me to it! I haven't seen your mom for so long. Give her a hug from me too and have a wonderful time. love, karly

leslie s said...

Gale even though mom was just stayed with us for three weeks...I find I'm a little jealous you get her for Mothers Day! :) I know she will be more than happy in your home and feel of all that love your family has to give. It is sweet that she will be able to meet Eve too. Thank you for having her. I know it will mean so much to her to spend time with your adodrable family. Love you.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I never tire of seeing pictures of your beautiful family. Your girls are so full of life and fun and I can see how it's been passed down through generations. These were lovely images.

Hege said...

Hi Gale,
How lovely that you get to see your mom. I'm so sorry she is struggling with Alzheimer's, what a shame, yet wonderful that she has such a loving family to embrace her and care for her. Have a terrific visit, can't wait to see photos and read all about it.
Hege

Morgan said...

How wonderful that your mom could come to meet Eve and to spend Mother's Day with you. My grandfather also has Alzheimer's and it's always so amazing to see the things that he does remember.

Late last night, I saw the email notification about the comment that you'd left for me. I woke up this morning thinking that it was just a dream. I had to read it again. Gale, I have never met anyone who's experienced that either. Everyone tries to help me, trying to imagine what it must feel like, but no one has ever known. I guess I've always assumed that surely there must be other people in the world who have experienced similar things, but it seems as though no one ever talks about it. Thank you so much for your comment, Gale. I think I really needed that.

If you have an email address, I'd love to have it.