WARNING: Long post that probably only family will want to read! This is more of a journal entry of motherly thoughts.
She and I just before she gave her speech.
On Tues night Chloe gave a speech for Honor Society. She did the tribute to the teachers and did such a great job. It was the perfect mix of sentimental, recognition and humor. She looked beautiful.
Thursday, Chloe was in a doubles tennis tournament. I spent the whole day watching her play.
She did incredible!! She served 7 aces in the championship game and went on to take first place. I have to take a minute here and talk about why I was so proud of her. I was absolutely bursting with pride yesterday and most would think it was because she won but that is not why. I was proud of her for something I feel is so much more important than a win. I am proud that every time this girl bumps up against adversity she will exert every imaginable resource she can muster to succeed.
Remember she hasn't played for 2 years so I knew this was going to be rough. I arrived a few min late for the first game and felt sick immediately......she was playing, well lets just say, not so good. Chris was out of town and I texted him...."Oh it is bad, very bad!". As the game went on I could see her working things out in her mind. She is so positive and didn't let her initial struggles get her down. by then end of the game she was playing decent and she and her partner went on to win. It wasn't too a tough win, the other team was just mediocre, she was happy.
This impacted me especially right now because I have been thinking about the world we live in and what my kids are facing and going through. It is tough....really tough for teenagers. The pressures and what has become acceptable is changing so fast but our family values are not. There are some difficult choices that Chloe has had to make lately but she is the kind of girl who, when down, will dig deep and come out better.
I am reading a book called "The Survivors Club". I am loving it and have been so affected by the premise. Who are survivors? Who, when everything seems lost will still come back to succeed? Who are the people who live when death is near and all the odds are against them? The book goes through the qualities and characteristics of a survivor and what makes them different. I feel as though our world is changing fast and I want to raise my children to be survivors. I want them to be able to face adversity and maneuver through it with grace. I want them to know the source of their strength and rely on their Father in Heaven. I want them to know that it doesn't matter how lost the battle seems you can always come back to win the war.
So, her tennis win was about being proud and grateful that I glimpsed that she has some of these qualities. She is the kind of person who doesn't get down and give up.
Tonight was one of her best friend's birthday party. She didn't go because the party included going to a movie that, although only PG-13, doesn't in any way reflect her values. She felt all the things teenage girls feel, worried, sad to be left out, a little embarrassed to tell her friends that she is choosing not to go and facing the questions as to why. Her moral convictions have made her different among her friends already. As she made the phone call to tell her friend of her choice I listened in amazement. She didn't falter, she wasn't apologetic for her choice, she was kind and non judgemental. I am so very proud of the wise choices she is making and her fortitude when things are tough......point.....set.....match!


8 comments:
WOW! I sure hope that my boys will grow up to be survivors too! congrats on the tennis tournament!
Love your blog- Clicked on it over at Shawnis 71 Toes blog.....Nice to read about great parents in the world. It gives me hope!
So proud of you Chloe...And I too am proud of more than just your tennis WIN!! You are a winner in every way!! Love you!
Gale that was beautifully written! Your girls are blessed to have a mom that can see, and help them to see, all their potential.
I have stopped by your blog a few times and really felt to comment after this post. I don't know you but hope you don't mind me visiting at times. As a LDS mum of young children I find you a wonderful example to me of what motherhood can be. You and your beautiful family seem so centred on what is truly important. Thank you for the reminder and thank you for sharing.
you are a great mom and such an example to all of us moms out there!
thanks for sharing and for your thoughts....
Thanks for the great story. Way to go Chloe!
AWESOME post and perspective!!! Congratulations to you and your daughter!
That is so impressive Gale. Like you said, it wasn't the actual win, it was the WAY she won. As parents we all hope to teach our children values, morals, and making the right choices! I am amazed that she would call her best friend and non-judgmentally do what is right for HER. That is AMAZING for anyone especially a teenager! Were you or Chris like that? I am amazed at how many people let their 7 yr old boys (same age as mine) do things and watch movies that are PG-13. It seems so common and can sometimes make me feel like a prude, but I am always ultimately glad with my choice for my kids and we believe limitations are good. Anyway, as always, LOVED your post. You are a terrific writer, mother, & friend and always have great stories to share. Thanks!
Post a Comment