Friday, March 18, 2011

What matters most

I have had so many many thoughts these past months about what is important in life.   It is very difficult to sort through the messages that the world gives us about where our value comes from and what we should put our time and effort into.   I have pondered deeply about this as I am raising 5 daughters who will look to me as their example and guide.  I desperately want to get it right.

So this is my thought process.  The world tells me I need to have a good body, dress nicely, have a nice house, pursue money as a means of happiness and have it all together.  I have in my life felt these pressures.  I have looked left and right and compared myself to other women and felt that I was falling short.   I have learned to let go, and in letting go I have found freedom.   I have developed my own process to instantly sort through all the mud and have a clear view of what is of value.   I will share my method
In prayerfully sorting through these messages I suddenly came to this understanding.  We are on this earth for a reason, I have a deep and powerful belief in my Father in Heaven, I know him and I know that he knows me.  In all of my learning of who He is I do know this, in his love for his children on earth, everything that is essential for our joy has been given to ALL men and women.  Not just those in the USA or other developed nations.  The woman living in a hut in Africa has been given access to everything essential for success and joy, the fisherman in a third world country living in poverty and raising his family has been given access to everything he needs.  So what the pressures of the world tell me is essential is a lie.  I now pay close attention to all the pressures around and process it through this filter.....If every human who has lived on this earth has access to it, then I should take notice.   This is what I think of as the foundation of joy.  

Every human has been given the ability to love and be loved.  Each human being has been given access to guidance and understanding from the spirit of our Heavenly Father.  We have each been given family, friends, laughter, the ability to feel joy, dance, breathe and partake of beauty on this earth in many varied forms.    We have the ability to serve others and care for them in their time of need.  We have the ability to create art, music and other creative outlets, including creating human life which is our greatest stuardship.  We have been given our minds to think and expand upon our understanding and we are free to each choose our thoughts and realm of influence.   We have each been given the ability to choose gratitude, joy, positivity, peace, and love.  So whenever something begins to plague my mind or when something seems important and causes me worry or angst I always ask myself...."would this be important to the woman in the rice fields of China?"  If it would not, then I let it go.  I give it up and I refocus on the things that have eternal and universal meaning.

I am trying each day to focus on my sweet daughters and time with them.  laughing, feeling gratitude for the beauty of the earth and the things that surround me.  I am trying to savor time with my dear husband whom I cherish and is my heart and soul.  I don't care if I am a size 6, I don't care if my house is decorated in the latest style, I don't care if I wear the right clothes or carry the right purse.  I have come to personally realize that those things are hollow.

This year Chris and I have put our focus on experiences, not things.  Tomorrow I will post about a wonderful experience we had last week.  We have rubbed shoulders with some amazing people and had a wonderful meaningful experience.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for such a great post. Looking forward to hearing about your experience.

SarahLeeAllenBrown said...

A variation on this very subject has been both joyfully and soberly impressed upon my soul of late. I would love to share my thoughts. I also have a few questions about sweet Eve. Please email me at sarannadan@yahoo.com. Chloe slipped away last night after the broadcast before I could get your email/phone#.
This post and this philosophy is powerful and true. Please do email me so I can write to you. I promise to respect your time and hope that I am not bothering you. Sincerely, SarahBrown (Hannah Allen's sister)

carol said...

Great thoughts Gale.
Why do we spend our time/energy/money on things that have so little value? It is constantly sold to us in bright colored packages, and I find myself thoughtlessly following after the perfect body/ house/image/etc. etc. Only to stop and ask myself," wait, what is it you are after?" I find it takes being diligent at guarding what really matters, so that what doesn't.. doesn't take over!
It is easy to lose focus and be come sidetracked by all that glitters.
I need constant reminders of all that is important and all that isn't.
*Thanks for the reminder.

Ashley said...

Hey, Gale,
Just wanted to let you know how missed you are! I hope that you all are doing great!
Ashley (in Texas)

Ashley said...

I'm back again just to say you're still thought of. My family has moved to Arizona, and we're settling in. I've wondered if you all are doing the same. I just reread that last post, and I just love it. So wise. Take care!

Ashley said...

Thought of you today when someone on Facebook mentioned foreign adoption. I hope you all are doing well. I guess we're going to "miss" each other again, because we've had to move back to Springfield, Missouri. We moved to Arizona in September for a job, and they let Russell go right before Christmas. Something about the budget. So we're back in the Midwest looking for work. We joke because my husband has never been without work in our 15 years of marriage, until he got his MBA. Crazy. Anyway, I just thought of you today and hope all is well with your family. Take care!

CA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CA said...

love thisss! https://www.cekaja.com/info/7-obat-bisul-alami/

Anonymous said...

UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT